Treatment Free in Finland - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Treatment Free in Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Everything is not shining and well, some problems with the Mini-Plus nucs... This has created a situation that most of the Mini-Plus nucs are fairly week now.
    One hive in particular was odd: It did not take sugar solution. Usually the reason is queenlessness. I had a look and found a queen laying in larger than average brood area!

They had food in frames, not so much but enough.

I think the reason for not taking food was that there were not enough bees of the right age, all bees were busy taking care of larvae. If my theory is right they will take the given sugar solution later.

Usually bees are crazy for sugar, they literally risk their lives for it. In this particular Mini-Plus hive bees seemed to value brood more that what I have seen. Babylovers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Time to protect hive from excessive wind. Excluders are used are mouse gards on the bottom.

DSC04859.jpg

The last queens are waiting for their delivery. Never before so late, put some extra insulation and added food frames.
    DSC04860.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

Time to protect hive from excessive wind. Excluders are used are mouse gards on the bottom.

DSC04859.jpg

The last queens are waiting for their delivery. Never before so late, put some extra insulation and added food frames.
    DSC04860.jpg

DSC04861.jpg
    Neat photos, Juhani. Best of success to you in your overwintering efforts!

Removing feeders in the same time when tar paper and mouse guards are mounted. The temperature in the picture was just under freezing point, but day highs have been in +5C, colder than normally this time of year.

IMG_20191014_091650.jpg

IMG_20191014_091653.jpg

Do you worry about the sun and rains effect on the insulation material? I was considering the same thing on my hives but wondered if they would have to be painted or protected in some fashion. It's definitely expensive insulation and wouldnt want it to disintegrate in a few seasons

It is poly-urethan which is covered with aluminium paper. All my hive covers are that material, I paint the sawed edges. Rain or sun has no/minumal effect. Oldest must be over fifteen years old.

Ants are doing the most damage, sometimes birds too. The covers are about 7cm wider than the boxes, small damage does not matter. If there is a little ant made hole, it does not matter either because there is plastic on top of frames.

Do you ever get issues with moisture rotting awake the woodenware faster in areas where the insulation wraps around the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by NJBeeVet View Post
    Do you ever get issues with moisture rotting awake the woodenware faster in areas where the insulation wraps around the hive?
    No, and there might be several reasons. Firstly the paper is not on the surface of the boxes. There is a 5 cm high rim on the hive bottom, which is 3 cm wider than the boxes. The paper is stapled into that rim, so it stays 1,5 cm away from the box surface.

Secondly our winter is cold. During the coldest months there may be temperatures under or near freezing point for months. Rotting does not proceed in freezing temperatures.

Iīm starting a new project which is aimed to widespread my resistant bee material among all beekeepers interested.

The idea is to sell breeder queens (2 or more) to beekeeper groups and associations, and then, in the Finnish conditions, probably next summer offer insemination service for a fixed price/queen, including travelling costs. Insemination is done in the first place by crossing the offspring of the original breeder queens. In the next years crossing might be done among the original breeders and bees of the group members. This way the original investment does not dilute in free matings, and the price of a breeder queen does not seem too risky, unreasonable or waste of money for the individual.
    The formed groups might have other positive effects too, for instance bring beekeepers together, enable them to learn queen rearing skills from each other, creating a mating yard for themselves, thus making insemination useless in the long run, etc.

The concept is one idea in the big picture how to spread varroa resistant bee material among large groups.

Today it is clear that varroa resistance is a reality: Around the world it has come up by itself, it has come up man made. Getting bees varroa resistant is the easy part. The tough part is how to get it spread so that eventually in some small areas’ bees can be allowed free matings, and the resistance stays. These smaller areas then grow bigger.

I have published this program in my blog and sent it by e-mail to the Finnish Beekeepers Association. I have "pre-tested" interest among my friends, there seems to be interested.
    This is also a way to spread correct information. There are prejudiced attitudes toward varroa resistant bees: "varroa resistant bees swarm and sting" "varroa resistant bees donīt bring any honey" "varroa resistant bees make small hives". Some of these claims have some truth value, but on the other hand people tend to take them too seriously and end up doing nothing.

I hope by the next spring I have something more to write.

This is an excellent idea, but will only work if beekeepers adopt resistant bees on a wide basis. There is a critical mass where enough beekeepers use resistant genetics that the population becomes tolerant.

I very much like that you are willing to share genetics you worked on for so long.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

The concept is one idea in the big picture how to spread varroa resistant bee material among large groups.

I hope by the next spring I have something more to write.
    I agree that this is a noble and ambitious goal, and I applaud you for it.

I look very much forward to reading more about how this project develops in the years to come.

Thank you for sharing.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345