Treatment Free in Finland - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Treatment Free in Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Everything is not shining and well, some problems with the Mini-Plus nucs... This has created a situation that most of the Mini-Plus nucs are fairly week now.
    One hive in particular was odd: It did not take sugar solution. Usually the reason is queenlessness. I had a look and found a queen laying in larger than average brood area!

They had food in frames, not so much but enough.

I think the reason for not taking food was that there were not enough bees of the right age, all bees were busy taking care of larvae. If my theory is right they will take the given sugar solution later.

Usually bees are crazy for sugar, they literally risk their lives for it. In this particular Mini-Plus hive bees seemed to value brood more that what I have seen. Babylovers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Time to protect hive from excessive wind. Excluders are used are mouse gards on the bottom.

DSC04859.jpg

The last queens are waiting for their delivery. Never before so late, put some extra insulation and added food frames.
    DSC04860.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Time to protect hive from excessive wind. Excluders are used are mouse gards on the bottom.

DSC04859.jpg

The last queens are waiting for their delivery. Never before so late, put some extra insulation and added food frames.
    DSC04860.jpg

DSC04861.jpg
    Neat photos, Juhani. Best of success to you in your overwintering efforts!

Removing feeders in the same time when tar paper and mouse guards are mounted. The temperature in the picture was just under freezing point, but day highs have been in +5C, colder than normally this time of year.

IMG_20191014_091650.jpg

IMG_20191014_091653.jpg

Do you worry about the sun and rains effect on the insulation material? I was considering the same thing on my hives but wondered if they would have to be painted or protected in some fashion. It's definitely expensive insulation and wouldnt want it to disintegrate in a few seasons

It is poly-urethan which is covered with aluminium paper. All my hive covers are that material, I paint the sawed edges. Rain or sun has no/minumal effect. Oldest must be over fifteen years old.

Ants are doing the most damage, sometimes birds too. The covers are about 7cm wider than the boxes, small damage does not matter. If there is a little ant made hole, it does not matter either because there is plastic on top of frames.

Do you ever get issues with moisture rotting awake the woodenware faster in areas where the insulation wraps around the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by NJBeeVet View Post
    Do you ever get issues with moisture rotting awake the woodenware faster in areas where the insulation wraps around the hive?
    No, and there might be several reasons. Firstly the paper is not on the surface of the boxes. There is a 5 cm high rim on the hive bottom, which is 3 cm wider than the boxes. The paper is stapled into that rim, so it stays 1,5 cm away from the box surface.

Secondly our winter is cold. During the coldest months there may be temperatures under or near freezing point for months. Rotting does not proceed in freezing temperatures.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345