Treatment Free in Finland - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    This situation changes when after couple weeks when number of adult bees is getting higher. I used to have a rule of thumb: three weeks after willow blooming start there is a need to put first supers to the best hives. With TF bees this has changed: it takes six weeks. Two things come to this: hives are smaller and bees take out infested brood, which slows down development.
    Juhani:

These are interesting and helpful observations you have made. I appreciate your detailed feedback. I hope to develop similar seasonal patterns here in my locale to evaluate between seasons and between colonies.

Thank you again for taking the time to outline your observations. I do appreciate it.

Have a great week.

Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Treatment Free in Finland

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    The real issues why this is not known/ignored:
    - weather usually prevents heavy foraging of maples and willows anyway
    - bee colonies are usually too weak to take advantage of these early flows
    - beekeepers do not recognize maple and willow as a target crops (and don't prepare to harvest them specifically - setting up early-forager units)
    - and the weather, just to repeat, will usually cancel out the best possible preparations anyway
    Which sums up to: bad beekeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Which sums up to: bad beekeeping.
    How exactly bad weather is equal to bad beekeeping?
    I would not generalize.

One can exert a lot of effort to prepare for the maple/willow flow and still be snowed in.
    It is a very risky business - early flows as it requires very early build-up - not always a good idea in cold regions (where the willow is most plentiful).

Our last snow (so far) was on Saturday, April 27th.
    Sunday was partly sunny and +10C - snow melted - not exactly good day either for bee foraging.
    Monday through Thursday - cold rain.

Willow potential is largely wasted; Maple potential was also largely wasted; Dandelion is blooming several days now - wasted so far due to the weather.

I don't care how good a beekeeper you are - you can only pray so much for good weather.
    Last edited by GregV; 04-29-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

One problem with willow crop is that usually there is quite a lot of winter sugar (we feed about 20-30 liters of sugar solution, in order to keep hives alive) still left on the frames, usually either brood or winter sugar. Those frames cannot be extracted. But I donīt say it isnīt possible, if you put supers on strong hives. After warm weather there usually is cold weather and then all stores, willow crop included, are again needed. All these things here and there end up that I personally do not know any beekeeper who has extracted willow honey in Finland. Ever.

Here is the video report of willow flow, dated April 24th.
    His supers are full, but not yet capped:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CfUVKjCeY
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Yesterday small signs of robbery, willow is over.

Weather forecast predicts max 0 C (32 F) and freezing night temperatures for Friday.

2019-04-30.jpg

While we might get some more snow in Friday, here is what is happening in Germany, my new blog writing:

https://naturebees.wordpress.com/201...are-you-ready/

That is interesting. The mite threshold of 3 percent is so low considering fall counts with many tf bees in the 15% range. I suspect these bees are resilient to viruses and do not need to control mites to the same extent. I have a feeling that viruses are going to be a far bigger part of the picture and mites will eventually be an afterthought. How is that for an outrageous statement.

That said, I will be doing early fall brood counts for all my hives this year. I won't have a hard threshold, but will certainly requeen in spring all those with much higher counts than their peers. I hope to shift the curve to the left. I will not raise a queen from 2 year or more survivors unless they have a fall brood count of less than 10 percent even if strong. Then set a tighter criteria as time goes on. I'm thinking 5 percent going into their 2nd winter as a reasonable long term goal.

All people seem to agree with the virus theory and a lot of studies seem to point into that direction. But what's with the new study, that showed that varroa doesn't feed on the hemolymph but on the fat body of the bees. Doesn't that destroy the varroa spreads viruses theory? Or do viruses really thrive in bees' fat bodies?

https://entomologytoday.org/2019/02/...et-discovered/

Bernhard
    I was under the impression that the fat body was the immune system of the bee. Kinda makes sense that if the immune system is attacked that the virus might have better luck in being spread.

I do not claim to know anything.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I have had thoughts about my location. In the old days, when I treated, I got max. 150 kg honey from my home yard, I considered it so poor that I usually kept only 4 hives on it. In comparison I usually had 6 hives on my other yards and I could get 400 kg or more from one place.
    Now I have had up to 25 normal hives and 25 small hives on my home yard. Maybe there is simply lack of pollen. Comparing this home yard to my best places is like comaparing IPM beekeepers to TF beekeepers, it cannot be done.
    +1 Every yard is different. Could be the minerals in the ground getting into all the plants. could be natural chemicals in the water. over lapping pollen or nectar flows. there is a myriad of things having an effect. I would recommend trying 4 or 5 yards with 4-6 hives of similar size, then determine where you want to setup. Then,, the natural DCA, Like where Heimo is if he has been there since 2001 their likely was swarms lost. IF they made it in the trees some where, the local population is likely greater than his hives. Take his hive to Florida and in 5 years would it still behave the same? It's location, location, location. Then local drone population.
    GG

toukokuun lumipyry.jpg

They promised a snow storm, pah! Nothing much, I have seen much more new snow in May, but some locations in Finland made new records: never has the max temperature of the May been so low.

19th of April I wrote:

Cleansing flights are over and willow is already in full bloom!
    Willow started somewhere one week before full bloom, donīt have a note, that would make it 13th of April. It is now six weeks from that, and time to put third boxes to the best ones. Weather is however now very cold(+10 C) and rainy, so Iīll wait couple days. TF bees need double time for their development compared to my old stock.

Bees not flying and there is some evidence on the landing board what is happening inside:
    DSC04518.jpg
    larvae pulled out, even some almost hatching bees and drones pulled out

Insemination of the second round queens is in the work list.

Queen deliveries to Europe have started.

As planned I have taken bees to several yards outside our home.

Record heat wave, temperatures over 30 C. In one weak Apidea frames melted, it was on a sandy building wall which has been the place for them. Usually they get advantage of it...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234