How to OAV when bees are bearding?

Default How to OAV when bees are bearding?

I want to do OAV today but they are bearding big time and I am concernced that with so many bees outside the hive my treatment will not be effective. They have been bearding all day for many weeks now so its not like I can count on them being inside tomorrow. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to OAV when bees are bearding?

Start at dawn. Your temps had dipped below 70F early this am. Tomorrow will be rainy early in the morning, but perhaps not so much early Monday.

Nancy

I had a similar problem with one particular hive with a lot of bearding even at night and "think" I solved it by using the provap outside the hive. Assume this won't work with other methods of oav application but I was able to apply the oav accurately and there were no observed problems. That hive has an extremely low mite count still.

I'm not saying it as effective as treating inside the hive at all as the vapor drifts off far quicker, but it caused no harm and the oav was visible on the bees afterwards.

Here in VA the temperatures are dropping a little but the humidity is still very high and I think this is the problem with bearding right now, hopefully it will improve soon.
    Johno

In the evening, just before sunset (to avoid daytime robbing), prop up the hive cover with a stick. This should produce more airflow upward through the hive and you might find that most of the bearding bees will move inside overnight to control the airflow and internal temperature. First thing in the morning, before the bees become active, close up the hive and treat.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    In the evening, just before sunset (to avoid daytime robbing), prop up the hive cover with a stick. This should produce more airflow upward through the hive and you might find that most of the bearding bees will move inside overnight to control the airflow and internal temperature. First thing in the morning, before the bees become active, close up the hive and treat.
    excellent advice
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

I’ve had a similar problem here in NC At dusk I used a spray bottle and squirted them some , most went into the hive, I then blocked the entrance while I applied oav. I figured the handful still outside didn’t effect the treatment much.