What are your hobbies? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What are your hobbies?

M80's were great fun, but a 3 or 4" salute would make the babies in the crowd cry in short order......and they there were 4" & 5" salutes. You not only hear them...you felt them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mcon672 View Post
    I would love to see some pics of your sculptures. I have been wanting to try doing some metal sculptures. I am a novice welder. My experience is pretty much patching up equipment around the farm. I cleaned up and burnt the face carving today.
    Wished I could do that!

McCon672, those are really neat, wish I had that talent! You're wife's a lucky girl, I'd love to have a bird house like that, and I've several stumps around that would look real neat all carved up.

My newest 'hobbies' are, I finally am bike riding regularly. Have a friend and we hit the road about every other day. Bought myself a new bike, so my old bike, a 1993 Bianchi Europa, I plan on refurbishing. I am going to practice first on my husbands old 1980's era Miyata, and the kids old Schwinns. Youtube is a huge help, as is Amazon, for bike repair/maint books
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

I’m trying to convince myself that “never ending” work around the house is a hobby! memtb

Hogback, it's funny the wife and I were just talking about how much we miss riding bikes. We used to ride all the time when the kids were younger. Strap some fishing poles and a lunch to the bikes and make a day of it riding trails along the Ohio River. Look for arrowheads, fish, catch snakes etc. Good times. Our grandson just turned one so round two isn't too far off. I need to get my health back in order and we need new bikes. My son got into hardcore mountain biking in his late teens and destroyed every bike in the garage.

Don't know if any of you like paw paws but they are ripe right now. I've been eating them for the last week. I love them. We enjoy foraging plus it's nice to eat a pesticide/chemical free meal every now and again.

I garden, but not in rows. Pretty much everything is left to go to seed and I spread the topsoil around in the Fall. In the spring the main job is pulling out all the extra veggies that are too crowded, and the weeds. It works pretty well.

Some things need more help. Melons I save seeds and plant, and sweetcorn. I let sweetcorn cross pollinate with colored 'indian' corn over several years and now I've got some pretty good but odd-looking sweetcorn. It wasn't very sweet the first year but with repeated crossing from bought sweetcorn seed it is excellent now. Even my wife has come around!

My goal is to never buy seeds but just let as much self-seed as possible. Sometimes that ends in a dead-end. My squash all ended up looking like pie pumpkins, and were not very tasty so I ended that line and will have to start over next spring with bought seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I garden, but not in rows. Pretty much everything is left to go to seed and I spread the topsoil around in the Fall. In the spring the main job is pulling out all the extra veggies that are too crowded, and the weeds. It works pretty well.

Some things need more help. Melons I save seeds and plant, and sweetcorn. I let sweetcorn cross pollinate with colored 'indian' corn over several years and now I've got some pretty good but odd-looking sweetcorn. It wasn't very sweet the first year but with repeated crossing from bought sweetcorn seed it is excellent now. Even my wife has come around!

My goal is to never buy seeds but just let as much self-seed as possible. Sometimes that ends in a dead-end. My squash all ended up looking like pie pumpkins, and were not very tasty so I ended that line and will have to start over next spring with bought seeds.

Same goal here. We have an outside woodfired canner that cans 18 quarts at a time. Dehydrate and freeze the rest, veggies, berries, herbs.

I couldn’t sleep last night.....does hand loading 40 rounds of .338 WM’s for my wife’s hunting rifle at 02:00 in the morning, count as a hobby? memtb

Quote Originally Posted by Memtb View Post
    I couldn’t sleep last night.....does hand loading 40 rounds of .338 WM’s for my wife’s hunting rifle at 02:00 in the morning, count as a hobby? memtb
    Could be, assuming you had at least another 960 to go. Do you use a star type loader or do each one individually by hand like a competition shooter?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Memtb View Post
    I wouldn't give any sass to a woman that shoots a .338 win mag! Yep handloading qualifies as a hobby
    Frank

AGREE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12