What are your hobbies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are your hobbies?

I have been interested in flying model airplanes since I was about 12 years old and have been at it off and on all these years. After having been away from it for about 20 years, I returned to find out I was like Rip Van Winkle waking up and so many things have changed. New computerized radio systems, lithium ion batteries, rare earth magnet electric motors makes it a whole new experience.

Reflexes and eyesight now is making it harder for me to keep track of smaller models so I am in the process of making one big, slow, and easy to see. This one should fit the bill! The wings are hot wire cut from styrofoam sheet as are most parts of the airframe. This will be my winter project!

It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What are your hobbies?

Hey Frank, I've been and R/C flier in my past life too. Got into the small stuff (50-60" wingspan) with glow plug 2 cycles (.45-.65 cc). As I got older & the eyesight got worse (and relexes too) I switch to bigger stuff. 80" & up with Quadra 42's & Zenoa G62's gas burners.

I still have 4 or 5 hanging in my shed, but haven't actually flown for 3-4 years. I don't trust the old Nicad batteries or the old radios anymore. I still have a bunch of 18-22" props laying around somewhere.

I think it's like riding a bike....once you done it, you can always do it......just fly higher most of the time.

Is that wing for a high wing or low wing design?

I built a hobbistar 60 a couple years ago , fun build !!! was flying a cheap electric to learn before flying the big plane but never got together with someone that could hook up to my controls and get me started . Guess I have to much going on with work and the bees and fishing but looking forward to flying when I retire .

It is for a high wing design which will be a morph of the Telemaster and Kadet SR. Flaps and Ailerons. Flying weight should be a bit over 8 lbs estimate. I am thinking of equipping with a camera for some aerial photography if it flys OK.
    Frank

One of my first planes was a Kadet SR.....which crashed on my first flight (I forgot to pull the antenna up and it flew out of range).

I taught myself to fly, the hard way..... I used to keep all my broken props, but it got to be too many to deal with. I flew a Duraplane that lived up to it's name until I got better at it. I don't know how many times it was re-built.

I've flown lots of different planes from a fifth scale Spitfire to a quarter scale Clipped Wing Cub.....they were all fun. Most fun plane was an Ultra-Hots (big one) with a Quadra 42 that could climb straight up as far as I could see it. But, as you probably know, they get hard to fly if you can't see them.

I really enjoyed the sport, but bees have taken over my life for the last few years.

A flight simulator is a great way to imprint the instinctive eye hand co ordination; You dont have time to think out the visual situation, assess it and translate it to your hands. Kids used to joystick gaming are tons easier to teach to fly than an adult from the stone age like many of us.

There are many models now that are using a self leveling receiver with gyro stabilizer. For about $30 US you can buy one of them in an aftermarket receiver that you can retrofit into an existing model. They sure get a new pilot on his own a lot quicker.

It sure is a rush! I can remember shaking so bad I could hardly hang onto the transmitter and begging the instructor to take back control.

Not pulling up the transmitter antenna sure is on the list of things a person can do wrong. I have a whole bunch of them checked off! Twice now I have lost sight of the model; one of them was never found; alien intervention is my explanation for that.
    Frank

I lost one too once upon a time. Last time I saw it, it was cruising away nice & steady with a full tank of fuel....never to be seen by me again.

The last thing I flew (tried to fly) was an early drone. None of the auto takeoff & return modes like the new drones. I thought if I could manage a hover, I'd be good to go. WRONG! Once in the air at any distance I couldn't tell front from rear, left vs right.....I was almost struggling with top vs bottom.

Need less to say I never became a drone pilot. I am considering a programable drone of some sort as long as it's cheap, but I'm not that senile yet. Maybe on of those little indoor ultra-light electrics would be my bag now, huh?

I couldn't make any progress at all with a drone about 3 years ago but there has been a huge leap in the technology since then. I got one this past christmas that has the same protocol as my fixed wing transmitter and found that when I programmed in greatly reduced rates and high exponential the flying was really dumbed down to the point of being able to make progress rather than an exercise in futility.

With a bit of practice the drone starts to respond much like a fixed wing craft. In a way, faster becomes easier like comparing riding a bike at half walking speed compared to going faster.

I have a bunch of things to get done before the snow flies so have shelved building and flying for a while. The club does fly in a school gymnasium in the winter time. Those little feather weight slow flyers are a hoot.

Here is a link to some flying, indoors and out by my mentor. He is somwhere north of 70 years old too. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...t_zb50eUOZozhQ
    Frank

I know it's an old thread but new to me. I started out flying control line planes as a kid then went to rc. I had a duraplane too! Big and clunky but could really take a beating. I fly a dji phantom 4 pro drone now. It basically flies itself. I have taken up wood carving as I needed a hobby I could do inIMG_20190725_191038_1568301930446.jpgside and sitting down because of my health the past few years. Made a bird house I was fairly happy with. Had a day when I felt a little better and tried my hand at chainsaw carving. A week later I still can't hardly move and definitely flared up but it was worth it. Did it for my friend. Hoping to feel well enough someday to try a bear on the stump next to the face. Made a honeybee pinata for my wife's family reunion.

The plane you're working on is going to be huge! Is it done yet? Any pics?

Cool carvings! If you live closer to me I'd have you come do some art for me!
    My other hobbies are welding. I've made various things from scrap, from sculptures to meat smokers, to some blacksmithing and knife making. I've done some woodworking, but not much. I've done some tree felling and fence building, some small scale farming too. I'm kind of a jack of all trades... Except anything to do with wiring and electrical. There's my downfall. I'll post pics of some of my work later.
    "Never slow down, just go around." Me, until i started keeping bees.

Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT View Post
    Cool carvings! If you live closer to me I'd have you come do some art for me!
    My other hobbies are welding. I've made various things from scrap, from sculptures to meat smokers, to some blacksmithing and knife making. I've done some woodworking, but not much. I've done some tree felling and fence building, some small scale farming too. I'm kind of a jack of all trades... Except anything to do with wiring and electrical. There's my downfall. I'll post pics of some of my work later.
    I would love to see some pics of your sculptures. I have been wanting to try doing some metal sculptures. I am a novice welder. My experience is pretty much patching up equipment around the farm. I cleaned up and burnt the face carving today.

Frank, we are curious if you made any progress on your plane. I know how things can get in the way. I have a 1:1 scale Beech Musketeer A23A that I have not touched in almost 4 years. One wing is on the table with flaps and ailerons off.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I well remember the ones when we were young that ran on cox gas and had long control tethers we had to hold and spin in a circle as we flew them. Of course it was a dizzying experiamce but it was a time of exciting progress in the real world of flights with fantastic jets, breaking the sound barrier and Chuck Yeager. One of the great things about aging is realizing we don’t have forever and we soon, better choose, how we spend our time. Let’s all go be kids again JW...one more time!

I have shelved it till this winter. Have the wings covered, control surfaces hinged and servos in. I bogged when I found 3/16 piano wire was a bit too springy for the landing gear. I have the 1/4" on hand but am a bit disappointed on how much weight I am accumulating. Have a hard time disciplining myself to build light. Guess I did too much repair on construction equipment It will fly but will come in closer to 18 ounces to the square foot of wing area. Rather would have seen 12.

In the meantime I picked up a ready to fly short takeoff and land Turbo Timber that is nice to fly. My old transmitter gave up the ghost and am still learning to program the spektrum Dx8 Gen2 computerized. They have pretty amazing capabilities but alas, are no smarter than the programmer/ operator

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Amen. My wife is always telling to grow up and stop acting like a child. Why should I?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I well remember the ones when we were young that ran on cox gas and had long control tethers we had to hold and spin in a circle as we flew them. Of course it was a dizzying experiamce but it was a time of exciting progress in the real world of flights with fantastic jets, breaking the sound barrier and Chuck Yeager. One of the great things about aging is realizing we don’t have forever and we soon, better choose, how we spend our time. Let’s all go be kids again JW...one more time!
    U Control! I was there! I remember getting one of those old cox .049 s warmed up and tuned, then topping off the fixed fuel tank so I could get a good long flight. I had practiced getting over dizzy exercises but apparently not enough! Within a couple of minutes eyes fixed on the plane and following it around the blur of background I was so dizzy I was having a hard time staying on my feet. When it crashed it was actually a relief. It is amazing what we can contrive to do in the name of fun!
    Frank

Ah the good old days. Before they had the styrofoam trainers. After many hours of painstaking labor of building, my efforts at learning to fly U control rewarded me with a pile of balsa wood and tissue paper that used to look like an airplane. Being young and easily frustrated, I moved on to model rockets. Now I am back into airplanes, but build the ones made from 2024T3 Alclad instead of tissue paper.

Quote Originally Posted by mcon672 View Post
    I would love to see some pics of your sculptures. I have been wanting to try doing some metal sculptures. I am a novice welder. My experience is pretty much patching up equipment around the farm. I cleaned up and burnt the face carving today.
    Looks more defined when They're burnt. That's how I started welding when I was 10. we have a little under 3 acres and have a 1950's International Harvester 300U. My dad planted sweet corn for us, on top of 100 tomato plants, 100 peppers, loads of onions and potatoes. He bought a welder for fixing stuff. Being a kid I quickly learned how to weld pre youtube days. Been into it ever since. Never to late to learn especially with youtube around. lots of tips and tricks. A guy named Jody has a YT channel called Welding Tips and Tricks. Check it out if you want to improve. Some of it has helped me with TIG welding and other various tricks.
    "Never slow down, just go around." Me, until i started keeping bees.

Ah, JP's, the good ol' days took me back to another hobby/business that consumed me one or two days a years.....being a short termed professional pyro-tech.......I set up & shot large fireworks displays. I did two or three shows a year for several years before my boss & I had a difference of opinion concerning a payment due.

An all day setup & half a night tear down & clean up was back breaking work for a 50 yr. old. It was rewarded with a days pay of well over $1k, depending on the size of show. Pix below is part of a roughly $8k show that paid 10% for set up & shoot.
    July 4th, 2005 005 (640 x 480).jpg

Terrorist bombings made the licensing much, much more strict & personally invasive, so I chose not to jump through those hoops an longer.

I love pyrotechnics and must admit that more than one of my model rockets had an M80 as the payload!

Good thing there is a statute of limitations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast