Frames without bottoms

Default Frames without bottoms

I bought some supers with frames included. For whatever reason they don't have a bottom piece of wood connecting up the side. I'm finding that, without the bottom, the bees keep building their comb, attaching to the frames underneath. This results in a frame being stuck when going to lift it up, and it ends up breaking apart, leaving a bunch of burr comb to clean up. Since the bees are getting smoked, they all jump on this broken part of honeycomb that's oozing out, making it difficult to clean up the broken comb. In order to not kill a lot of bees, I need to slowly take apart the burr comb; a good amount of bees still die and it takes quite some time.

Has anyone else had this problem? What would you guys suggest for me to do with these frames? They might be suitable to use in the brood chamber?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frames without bottoms

For me they are culled out as soon as possible. Not worth the pain that they cause.

Cut the comb out if you need it and junk the frames.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

I would try and rotate these frames out.

In the short term you can run a piece of fishing line or wire between the boxes to cut the comb between the frames. You may still loose some bees, but I think it will be a cleaner method.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthAussieBeekeeper View Post
    What would you guys suggest for me to do with these frames?
    If you have woodworking skills and the required equipment, then take off the smallest possible amount of wood from the bottom of the sides (to remove any wax there), and then glue-on a strip of wood as a new bottom-bar.

If you are NOT able to do this, then either junk them, or give them away to someone who experiments with equipment as they can still be used to make custom frames for the rearing of queen-cells and similar purposes.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Might try a wire between the boxes for cutting, this is how they separate warr hives.