Horizontal Longstroth Beehive - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Horizontal Longstroth Beehive

Started painting the hive olive green. Thinking of painting the legs a dark red.

IMG_20181001_172004.jpg

Now to think about building/designing a modular roof so that I can add flow hive frames, Mason jars, and possibly some medium supers. I need to search for some ideas. After reading on the forum, I'm considering adding these extras the second year of the hive, but need to build ahead of adding the bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps put a Queen excluder above for honey stores? I think a telescoping lid would work well for the top, since the bottom will be the brood area.I went with internal frame feeders, instead of mason jars for the feeders, because my aging back can't lift heavy loads anymore...lol...I am thinking this hive will be a 2 story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero Mike View Post
    Started painting the hive olive green. Thinking of painting the legs a dark red.

IMG_20181001_172004.jpg

Now to think about building/designing a modular roof so that I can add flow hive frames, Mason jars, and possibly some medium supers. I need to search for some ideas. After reading on the forum, I'm considering adding these extras the second year of the hive, but need to build ahead of adding the bees.
    Survival of the bees for future generations is my credo...

Quote Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
    Perhaps put a Queen excluder above for honey stores? I think a telescoping lid would work well for the top, since the bottom will be the brood area.I went with internal frame feeders, instead of mason jars for the feeders, because my aging back can't lift heavy loads anymore...lol...I am thinking this hive will be a 2 story?
    We are thinking alike with a Queen excluder for honey stores. I do have one of those black plastic internal feeder. I was thinking of 2 to 4 mason jars for a few honey stores for family that likes the wax in their honey. Yes on being 2 stories, but maybe not the first year. I've been wondering with the first year just being 1 story for the bees with maybe a vertical Queen exluder for 2 or 3 frames at the end for honey stores. And, then the 2nd year of going to 2 stories with trying the flow hive frames, and 10 medium supers possibly for honey stores if the bees don't like the flow hive frames.

I really like the rapid feeders if you have space above. Doesn’t take frame space, has a higher volume than masons and can be checked refilled with out disturbing bees and can also feed pollen sub

From what I've seen, most long langs have solid plywood bottoms regardless of screens or not. I am putting in a #8 screen and a tray to monitor mite droppings. However, like a typical lang hive, it doesn't have an additional plywood bottom. I see that some designs have trays/corrugated board inserts but they still seem to have plywood bottoms as well. Why do the long langs need a plywood bottom? Is it for additional insulation since it spans 48 3/4 " instead of 16 1/4"?

I built 2 of these hybrid top bar hives. I use Lang frames and top bars with sides and bottom boards. I put my main entrance in the end. I also drilled 2 entrance holes in the other end the same size as wine corks. this end can be used as a nuc while you are building a hive in the main end. I use oil pans under my SBB and they do a good job on shb plus close up the bottom if there is too much ventilation. You might want to google THE LAYENS HIVE. Old info but his principles of bar/frame manipulation are right on. During a flow you will be needing to check them weekly so you don't get honey bound.

A good tip as well Fiero for langstroth instead of buying 2x12 boards, buy 2x10 boards 16ft. You can ussually get a 16 foot for 13-14 dollars. Instead of paying 25-26 for a 2x12 12 footer. You do your normal cuts, but make all the boards 8 3/4, and your excess 4 foot of 2x10 cut 2 inch strips and screw them into the top of the 8 3/4 pieces you got making a 10 3/4 total height. Saves a ton of money on wood. Shows ours a bit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLp4eZDElNE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12