Sorting Wheat from the Chaff - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sorting Wheat from the Chaff

Exactly the point you can't believe everything you read on the internet, such an over estimation on the timeline!
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The only remedy for all this information or misinformation that abounds on the internet and often on this forum is bitter experience, and a lot of that can be obtained from getting to know and to help some successful beekeepers especially those who use this hobby to generate income from bee and honey sales. For some there is also a challenge to succeed where so many fail and how many times do they have to listen to the failures blaming everything and everyone for their failure be it neonics or someone else down the road that keeps bees.
    Johno

Might I simply suggest using the internet to hunt down and read beekeeping books from the 1900s era. Many can be found in pdf format from many libraries made public, or hunt down a hard copy. They are foundational works that just tend to be reedited periodically, but other than the attack of the varroa mite, the gist of beekeeping in them stands the test of time. And brain packed with this beekeeping knowledge, and verified within your own hives, you'll be able to laugh at or debunk the beekeeping fallacies out there.

ABC XYZ of Bee Culture. 1914 ed.
    The Hive and the Honey Bee, Dadant.
    And others.

And hunt down works by the beekeepers at the turn of the century between 1800 and 1900.

I agree. For instance, the Flow hive hype. Never mind it's obvious issues, I had complete noobs ask me when I was converting. Because" its so much better". Everybody says so.
    Rather deviously I suggested to the pushiest evangelist, after he told me I was a fool, to spend all his available bee money on those. He would get Rich!.

I havent heard how that went for him.😈

A paraphrase of Maeterlinck is probably the source of the Einstein quote. Though I like your "paraphrase" for humor purposes. Here is the source:

"You will probably more than once have seen her fluttering about the bushes, in a deserted corner of your garden, without realizing that you were carelessly watching the venerable ancestor to whom we probably owe most of our flowers and fruits (for it is actually estimated that more than a hundred thousand varieties of plants would disappear if the bees did not visit them) and possibly even our civilization, for in these mysteries all things intertwine."--Maurice Maeterlinck, The Life of the Bee, Chapter 104
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12