Bulk Seed Garlic

Default Bulk Seed Garlic

Anyone have a reasonable source for bulk pricing? Lots of small farms have high priced organic stock, but looking for something similar to Dixondale farms for onions.
    A big part of our family since 1958. Thank you Mr. Langley.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bulk Seed Garlic

A couple of years ago my wife bought a bag of pre-cleaned garlic at Sam's Club. After a few weeks in the frig some of them began to sprout, last year we bought a bag and planted them. They're not HUGE, but grew well and cheaper than garden center prices.

There is a large variation in individual garlic cultivars that can make them better suited for a persons needs. Some are hot, some very mild, some early season some late, some good storing, some short storage and on and on. A lot of what we get here in supermarkets are supposedly imported but any case will be selected for mechanical planting and harvesting properties and may give up a lot of other qualities.

I have been growing one called Music that is very middle of the road but thinking of branching out into more exotic. Have been doing some research. So far have only looked at northern sites and was not concerned too much about price for the volume I would need to get started. Prices are commonly 2 or 3$ a head for many varieties so you would certainly want to get a better price if you were planting acres.

https://norwegiancreekfarm.ca/ Just for interest sake, here is a site I have been looking at. Perhaps Google could fetch you out some suggestions for volume suppliers.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by KCWildman View Post
    Anyone have a reasonable source for bulk pricing? Lots of small farms have high priced organic stock, but looking for something similar to Dixondale farms for onions.
    How much are you looking to buy ? It makes a difference, most of the small organic places are selling lots of 5 bulbs or less at that pricing. You should get a much better price asking for quantities in hundreds.

We started our garlic production in 2014, started off small, bought about 200 bulbs, 5 different varieties so by the time we were finished cloving it all, planted about 1200 cloves. First year we kept it all back for seed and put over 6000 in for year 2. Depending on the variety you can get quite a large seed expansion over one season. The afore mention Music is common in our area, plan on 4:1 seed expansion from Music, you get 4 or 5 good cloves typically from a well grown Music clove. We have a couple other varieties that give many more cloves per bulb, but they grow smaller / hotter bulbs. We have mostly hardneck varieties, but do plant one soft neck variety. Most large scale commercial production is of soft neck varieties because it's somewhat less work in the field, no need to go thru cutting scapes.

We are currently planting about 10,000 cloves in the fall and keep back enough bulbs from our harvest for the next round of seed. We haven't bought any since that first year when we only bought a couple hundred to get started. Took a couple years before we had significant amounts for sale, but we are filling the patch with new cloves these days and have lots for sale.

I started off real small with a single bulb of a hardneck red german variety. Very warm and garlicky. Made some as seed bulbs and let other cloves actually flower and grow bulbils. You get a lot of bulbils from a single plant but it takes them two years to develop into a full sized bulb. Still, it is about a 20 fold increase vs a 16 fold increase over the same time period.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have used this company: https://www.filareefarm.com/
    I have been very happy. Bulbs were great. I only buy small quantities. They have the largest selection I have seen and good info on each variety.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Made some as seed bulbs and let other cloves actually flower and grow bulbils. You get a lot of bulbils from a single plant but it takes them two years to develop into a full sized bulb. Still, it is about a 20 fold increase vs a 16 fold increase over the same time period.
    Propogating by bulbils indeed takes two years, but the amount of seed expansion is highly dependant on the variety. I've harvested bulbils from a few Music plants, mostly because they were missed when cutting scapes. With those, we get about 50 bulbils per plant. I've seen a couple other varieites (dont remember offhand which) that only produce a dozen bulbils, and they produce a dozen cloves too. The caveat for propogating this way, the smaller plants are highly susceptible to both water and heat stresses, much moreso than the plants grown from bulbs. If it's to wet they drown faster, if it's to dry they wither and die quicker. During a really hot spell if you dont have them on a timer for watering you stand a good chance of losing them.

Good writeup on propogating from bulbils here: https://garlicfarm.ca/garlic-bulbils.htm

After reading thru a LOT of information on the subject we were going to try propogating this way, but it never happened, one of those things that sat in the 'round-to-it' pile and never bubbled to the top. Another advantage of the bulbils is you can plant them much more densely, if memory serves correctly they will do well on 1 to 2 inch spacing. We will probably try a test set next spring by spring planting in the greenhouse where we have good control over conditions and watering. Another possible reason to start out with bulbils instead of cloves, properly harvested they have never touched the ground, so they wont bring along any soil borne diseases. Depending on where you are and where your initial seed stock is coming from, this may be an important point and a good reason to start this way from the get-go.
    Last edited by grozzie2; 09-11-2018 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add a bit