Two deep early fall split?

Default Two deep early fall split?

I was planning on a two deep box brood chamber, but have come to learn that a single deep brood box is plenty. I'm thinking about splitting the two deeps, which are chock full of brood and stores, into two separate hives now. I know its a bit late in the season, but I figured if i balanced the hives with brood and stores and added a mated queen to the non-queen box, they'd have enough time to get ready for winter, and I'd avoid disrupting their spring build up with a split then. Is this a wacky idea here in South Eastern Virginia? When is the latest one might accomplish this task - I still have to source a queen. I have additional questions, but lets start there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Two deep early fall split?

There is still time to do a split with a mated queen if your hive is brimming over with bees. The wet summer has kept the bees from a summer brood break and many hives in our area are real strong. I would add a medium super and feed like sugar is on sale. I don't know anyone local that is using single deeps to overwinter. Even my nucs have a medium super if not already two deeps.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If this is your only hive and your 1st hive, I would let it be and winter in 2 deeps. Then, come spring (April here usually) you can do yoursplit.

I have two Langstroth hives with two deeps set up pretty much the same way and then a top bar. It’s the first year for the Langstroths.

Scout, in re reading this, I realize my advice was not clear. Only feed if you do the splits right now.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks for the replies!