Single Brood Box Keepers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Single Brood Box Keepers?

I experimented with single brood chamber 10 frame deep hives this year, I tried two hives this way. It definitely takes some attention but it is actually fast since you only have to deal with one brood box. It works good. Pulling a couple frames of sealed brood above the Queen excluder quickly teaches the bees to pass thru it too. This was a late, cool, wet and odd spring, swarms were a month to 6 weeks late in Ohio. The two brood boxes I tried as singles never swarmed, they had a few cells started and I kept them scraped out.

Now I am deciding how to approach winter. I have over wintered singles a couple times and think I will try again this year. We are in a very good Goldenrod flow right now. I will pull all my supers in a couple weeks and allow them to finish back filling the single box. I will feed extra if needed.

Overall, I liked the single brood box system this year and will continue playing with it next year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

With due dillegence, an 8 frame brood chamber is feasible. We have run single deeps since at least the 1930's, can't prove earlier.

Crazy Roland

Roland do you find it necessary to run a feed super above the brood? Just curious is why I ask, have never had to myself

Bit of a hijack, but since I tried and failed this year, and am learning what I did wrong, I hope it helps the OP. So, come spring, that deep is getting laid full, I pull 2 frames of sealed brood, move it above the QE and replace with empties. Do that again 5-7 days later, but put the new super on top of the brood box (under supering). Repeat as needed thru spring build up and flow. Sound right?

Further question for those doing it: obviously you need new combs built too, are you dropping foundation frames into the brood chamber as well? That’s going to slow the rate of moving frames up since they have to draw them, it might also further limit the brood nest since the queen can’t lay in them until they are at least started on being drawn out.

And one more: I can see converting to all deeps, but I’ve got a bunch of mediums too. Any thoughts on dropping medium drawn frames into the brood chamber for her to use for a week? They might start drawing comb off the bottom of the frame, but we are jjust talking a week at most to give her somewhere to lay, then moving it up and out.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

deleted
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post

And one more: I can see converting to all deeps, but I’ve got a bunch of mediums too. Any thoughts on dropping medium drawn frames into the brood chamber for her to use for a week? They might start drawing comb off the bottom of the frame, but we are jjust talking a week at most to give her somewhere to lay, then moving it up and out.
    You could make up a few units comprised of 2 mediums for the brood chamber and mediums for honey supers.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Slow drone, I am not sure what a "Feed Super" is. Our season is rather short, with a very little slow down in August before Goldenrod. Once Dandelions bloom, they should be good to go..

Crazy Roland

Post #20 refers to a feed super not sure either Roland didn't make sense to me.

At one time the bottom box in the stack was called the brood chamber, the place where all the young bees were raised. The box just above the brood chamber, the one to be left for the bees winter food when overwintering in two boxes, was called the food chamber. You will see these terms in the older beekeeping books and still hear them used by beekeepers in this area that started in bees in the 70s and before and learned them from the "Oldtimers."
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post
    I use a deep square dadant as brood box. Before main flow put a medium on top, or two ( I split once in spring, have no "production hives).

To use medium frames in the broodbox if needed ( mostly for feeding) and not getting comb underneath, as they will do in two days in spring expansion with a good flow, I have taken off the ears of some frames. So I can combine two mediums to use as a deep frame, wire it together.
    If I want to use it as medium again, I put in screws as ears.
    I have only outyards but can do this actions any time. Always take a screwdriver, screws and some wire with me and a wire cutting tool.
    No problem if there is honey in the frames or not. Works beautifully and the bees propolise the screws immediately.

If this is not possible I would use a board wired underneath the shorter frame to avoid comb building there.

I will pull all my supers in a couple weeks and allow them to finish back filling the single box. I will feed extra if needed.
    Thatīs what I do in august ( unique climate situation). If they have crystallized honey in the medium on top because I waited too long with harvest I leave it on for winter.
    The fall flow will be stored in the deep then.

I run 2 colonies in a single hive (Nat Hive). Each queen is in a 6 frame queen compartment. During swarm season, a demaree (2-3 frames) is done on each side every 10 days to prevent overcrowding. No lifting or removing of supers to do the demaree since all frame are accessible below the queen excluder. Love small brood chambers because easy to inspect and to assess queen status/ productivity quickly. Check it out at www.twoqueenhive.com. Would love to hear feedback.

George

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    At one time the bottom box in the stack was called the brood chamber, the place where all the young bees were raised. The box just above the brood chamber, the one to be left for the bees winter food when overwintering in two boxes, was called the food chamber. You will see these terms in the older beekeeping books and still hear them used by beekeepers in this area that started in bees in the 70s and before and learned them from the "Oldtimers."
    Thanks for joining in on this thread AR! Yes understood a food box above the brood chamber for overwintering. I may be misunderstanding post #20 but I think he is referring to a food box during a flow which I don't find necessary may be a regional thing. Myself I don't overwinter doubles only singles. What might be your understanding in regards to post #20 AR? Maybe Honey Householder will chime back in for more clarification. Others joining in on the thread please keep in mind the OPs question is in reference to running an 8 frame deep single brood chamber.

A good laying queen will lay on 2-3 deep frames per week (1500-2000 eggs per day) under ideal circumstances (plenty of resources...food and nurse bees). Single deep brood chamber (5, 6, 8 or 10 frames) require some manipulation every 10-14 days to prevent swarming. There are many benefits of the demaree swarm prevention method.. the only draw back is that requires a fair amount of work but the rewards is significant honey production. George

My reading of post #20 is that those commercial beeks were using 8 frame brood chambers and they used the box immediately above as food during the flow, always having it available for the bees use.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Thanks AR

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    Post #20 refers to a feed super not sure either Roland didn't make sense to me.
    Most comm 8 frame guy us a super above the queen excluder that has a frame feeder in it for feeding between flows. They don't want to run 6 frame with feeder in the brood nest. By running the feed in the super they can still run 7 frames in the brood box.

I run 10 frame equipment. 8 frames and a frame feeder. Been running singles for over 25 years now.

Thanks Honey Householder!

And there you have it.

Crazy Roland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12