Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

ProVap 110

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  RobA 
#1 ·
Finally got a chance to use it and Holy Moley that thing is fast! The slowest part of the process is me filling caps and plugging entrances. I may have been able to keep up with it if I’d had some help.
SNL, thanks for suppling another quality product. I am definitely impressed.

#2 ·
Agree, not only because it is so easy and fast to use but because the OAV treatment works so well at killing mites. Way my hives are setup I do 4 at a time. Smoke ladies in, cover entrances, pull golf tees from the back, load one cap and start treatment. Move to second hive and fill cap just in time to remove ProVap and start 2nd hive. Move on to the 3rd and 4th hives then unplug while I move electric cord to 2nd set of 4 hives and repeat. Then over again for the rest of our hives.

#4 ·
The Varrox is a great piece of equipment and I used one when I had 3 hives and last year with 6 hives and though it took longer it still worked well. In February started with 9 hives and bought a ProVap 110 reduced my treatment time from close to 2 hours to less than 40 minutes which includes dragging out electric cord and other stuff.

Now have 12 hives, 8 at Dad’s house and 4 “in the country” where we have some land. Can treat all the hives, drive to our second aviary, and treat those hives with a start time of about 830AM and be back home before 10AM. The drive takes 15 minutes each way and in the country I use an inverter with a 12 volt power pack which takes a few minutes to setup.

Even being retired I value my time and when treating four times per series it was worth the cost to me. The ProVap is well made and I expect it to last a long time and when doing a series of OAV four times in February, four times in August and once or twice between Thanksgiving and Christmas I feel that the ProVap is a great investment. Each will have to weight the cost verse ease and speed of treating with a ProVap but for me has very much been worth the cost.

#5 ·
I treated my 23 hives this morning between rain showers. I didn't time myself but I think it was an hour. However that included a half mile move and a switch from regular electric power to inverter power that runs off my Polaris Ranger for the last 6 hives.

I did order a couple more caps so I have four.....I fill the 4 and place one on each hive and refill the empty while the other is cooking off. It keeps me humping, but gets it done quick. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Just treated a friend's hive with my Provap110 this evening. Thank God it is fast. We got a late start on the hive inspection and I have never seen so many bees in a single hive. We added another deep and a super, both wih drawn comb and closed it back up as it was getting dark. Quickly shoved the hive tool between the bottom board and the lower brood box stuck in the stem and about 30 sec. later was done. Did I mention it was dark? Ever work bees after the sun goes down? Gives a whole new meaning to the word stupid. The speed of the Provap kept me from getting any more "kisses" than I did.

#11 ·
I treated 44 hives the other day and took about an hour and a half. I think it’ll speed up next time. The first time was a little clunky, getting everything figured out took up a little time. If I’d been using my pan style vaporizer it would have taken half a day.
Time saved is valuable to me. I have a 50 hour a week job, a farm to tend to, this growing sideline beekeeping thing, grandbabies to play with and an active church life. Oh, I forgot about the Missus. She can usually find me something to do if I’m looking lazy.
The ProVap110 is a little pricey, but the time it gives back is very valuable. Well worth it to me.

#14 ·
I have purchased the provap 110 and am getting things ready to use it, question with the golf tees to plug 1/4" holes, drilled a hole in a piece of wood for trial ,and tee feels really loose in hole, is there any problems with tees falling out and getting holes propolized shut? I got the plastic golf tees are there different diameter sizes of tees?

#15 ·
Just push the “T” in up to the “cup” of the “T” and you’re good. Might be a little loose, but you’re fine. I don’t use the T’s myself, I leave it open and push a nail through the hole to make sure it’s open (it usually is) before I insert the vap stem.

#17 ·
Although I haven't had time to glue them together yet, my solution was wooden drawer knobs with a piece of 1/4" dowel glued into the enlarged screw hole. Cut the dowel so that 3/4" extends from the inside of the knob. The knob gives you something to grab in case there is a little propolis holding onto things. I bought 14 of the knobs and a 36" piece of 1/4" dowel for less than $20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.