ProVap 110

Thread: ProVap 110

Default ProVap 110

Finally got a chance to use it and Holy Moley that thing is fast! The slowest part of the process is me filling caps and plugging entrances. I may have been able to keep up with it if I’d had some help.
    SNL, thanks for suppling another quality product. I am definitely impressed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ProVap 110

Quote Originally Posted by HiveBeetle View Post
    Finally got a chance to use it and Holy Moley that thing is fast! The slowest part of the process is me filling caps and plugging entrances. I may have been able to keep up with it if I’d had some help.
    SNL, thanks for suppling another quality product. I am definitely impressed.
    Agree, not only because it is so easy and fast to use but because the OAV treatment works so well at killing mites. Way my hives are setup I do 4 at a time. Smoke ladies in, cover entrances, pull golf tees from the back, load one cap and start treatment. Move to second hive and fill cap just in time to remove ProVap and start 2nd hive. Move on to the 3rd and 4th hives then unplug while I move electric cord to 2nd set of 4 hives and repeat. Then over again for the rest of our hives.

How many hives are you treating? I only have 5 hives (seems to grow by 1 each year) and use the Varrox vaporizer. Takes some time. I'd love to make the process quicker but am hesitant to pay so much for the ProVap.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    How many hives are you treating? I only have 5 hives (seems to grow by 1 each year) and use the Varrox vaporizer. Takes some time. I'd love to make the process quicker but am hesitant to pay so much for the ProVap.
    The Varrox is a great piece of equipment and I used one when I had 3 hives and last year with 6 hives and though it took longer it still worked well. In February started with 9 hives and bought a ProVap 110 reduced my treatment time from close to 2 hours to less than 40 minutes which includes dragging out electric cord and other stuff.

Now have 12 hives, 8 at Dad’s house and 4 “in the country” where we have some land. Can treat all the hives, drive to our second aviary, and treat those hives with a start time of about 830AM and be back home before 10AM. The drive takes 15 minutes each way and in the country I use an inverter with a 12 volt power pack which takes a few minutes to setup.

Even being retired I value my time and when treating four times per series it was worth the cost to me. The ProVap is well made and I expect it to last a long time and when doing a series of OAV four times in February, four times in August and once or twice between Thanksgiving and Christmas I feel that the ProVap is a great investment. Each will have to weight the cost verse ease and speed of treating with a ProVap but for me has very much been worth the cost.

I treated my 23 hives this morning between rain showers. I didn't time myself but I think it was an hour. However that included a half mile move and a switch from regular electric power to inverter power that runs off my Polaris Ranger for the last 6 hives.

I did order a couple more caps so I have four.....I fill the 4 and place one on each hive and refill the empty while the other is cooking off. It keeps me humping, but gets it done quick.

T K S
    Do you close each hive for 10 minutes?

Just treated a friend's hive with my Provap110 this evening. Thank God it is fast. We got a late start on the hive inspection and I have never seen so many bees in a single hive. We added another deep and a super, both wih drawn comb and closed it back up as it was getting dark. Quickly shoved the hive tool between the bottom board and the lower brood box stuck in the stem and about 30 sec. later was done. Did I mention it was dark? Ever work bees after the sun goes down? Gives a whole new meaning to the word stupid. The speed of the Provap kept me from getting any more "kisses" than I did.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

The way they land and crawl makes it a lot easier for them to gain access.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhwg View Post
    T K S
    Do you close each hive for 10 minutes?
    Yes I do. I have blocks of wood about 1"x1"x16" that I place over the entrances for 10 minutes. Yesterday there were quite a few pollen loaded bees waiting to get in when I removed the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Yes I do. I have blocks of wood about 1"x1"x16" that I place over the entrances for 10 minutes. Yesterday there were quite a few pollen loaded bees waiting to get in when I removed the blocks.
    Thanks. I just use some old T-shirts. Is easy to see what the girls are bringing back when they "stack-up" against the white T-shirts while I am waiting to open the hives back up. Couple of friends only block the entrance(s) while treating and remove as soon as done with the OAV treatment. So far they have not suffered any loses to mites but I am still following the directions.

I treated 44 hives the other day and took about an hour and a half. I think it’ll speed up next time. The first time was a little clunky, getting everything figured out took up a little time. If I’d been using my pan style vaporizer it would have taken half a day.
    Time saved is valuable to me. I have a 50 hour a week job, a farm to tend to, this growing sideline beekeeping thing, grandbabies to play with and an active church life. Oh, I forgot about the Missus. She can usually find me something to do if I’m looking lazy.
    The ProVap110 is a little pricey, but the time it gives back is very valuable. Well worth it to me.

I decided to spurge and buy the ProVap. Looking forward to using it.

Youre going to love the ease of use and speed.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I have purchased the provap 110 and am getting things ready to use it, question with the golf tees to plug 1/4" holes, drilled a hole in a piece of wood for trial ,and tee feels really loose in hole, is there any problems with tees falling out and getting holes propolized shut? I got the plastic golf tees are there different diameter sizes of tees?

Just push the T in up to the cup of the T and youre good. Might be a little loose, but youre fine. I dont use the Ts myself, I leave it open and push a nail through the hole to make sure its open (it usually is) before I insert the vap stem.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I haven't drilled holes in my hives yet for the ProVap, however, I did drill some test holes in scrap wood and found the same as you with golf tees. I find some scrap pieces of wooden dowels that fit better and will be using them instead of the tees.

Although I haven't had time to glue them together yet, my solution was wooden drawer knobs with a piece of 1/4" dowel glued into the enlarged screw hole. Cut the dowel so that 3/4" extends from the inside of the knob. The knob gives you something to grab in case there is a little propolis holding onto things. I bought 14 of the knobs and a 36" piece of 1/4" dowel for less than $20.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I use a 4 inch long 1/4" eye bolt so I can ramrod the hole and clear the propolis and whatever might be in front of the hole.

everbilt-eye-bolts-807206-64_400_compressed.jpg
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    I use a 4 inch long 1/4" eye bolt so I can ramrod the hole and clear the propolis and whatever might be in front of the hole.

everbilt-eye-bolts-807206-64_400_compressed.jpg
    Good idea