Fell Down With Full Box of Bees! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fell Down With Full Box of Bees!

If I may,

I am an "old fat man" and I need a crutch to walk, just a little bit. My solutions are: lift honey frames into a carrying box that holds 3 frames. They get put into a box on the endgate of my PU truck. I have made about a dozen stools so I can sit to do my hive work. I have a little wagon to move boxes and stuff and, I get help from my wife or anyone I can get to assist when I need it.

It is more important now to have stands and stools to move stuff on to already in place and to have frames and smoke handy just in case. I place the extra hive tool in my side pocket in case I drop the primary one. Most of my stings are from trapping a bee under my finger so I like to use a frame puller, when I can remember to take it with me. They say that the memory is the second thing to go when you get old. The problem is that I can't remember what the first thing is.

Thank you for tolerating me, LP

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

But Crofter, I just don't like the words to that song.... Tomorrow morning its helping with an extracting demo for the public at the Nature Center, the OAV'ing mixed production and NUC colonies in my apiary, then Monday-Tuesday it's out to the cabin in the mountains at 10K feet to see if any aspen are starting to turn, etc. etc. Keep on truck'n and don't let CT or EFB spoil your fun.

Steve

Larry,

It sounds like you have a working plan too. You hang in there too and keep on truck'n.

I had another fun challenge last week. I had five gallon buckets of harvested honey setting on a table in in the garage and a black bear came in and dumped one on the concrete floor. I chased him out and my wonderful wife helped me clean up the honey so now I am diluting it 70/30 with 1:1 sugar syrup and feeding it back to the bees inverted perferated top quart jars, rather than feeding 2:1 sugar syrup. It is no fun and it hurts since it has already been harvested.

Steve

You might look into Walt Wright's methods. Look on this site under ARTICLES.
    Attached is a picture of two of his hives. This picture taken June 2nd, 2014 and two weeks later he harvested an average of 137lbs from the top 11 boxes of the two hives.
    Obviously the bottom shallows had more honey than the top but it would still be easier than harvesting deeps.
    WaltWright's stack.JPG

Hi Frank. Could you add a photo of your inspection stand? Iíve been trying to figure out what I want to use as an inspection stand, so I donít have to lift boxes from the ground, when putting the hive back together. Need something mobil, so I can move easily from hive to hive.

Thanks, Rob

I ran over 2 of my hives yesterday while mowing weeds in my outyard. Totally destroyed two of the four hives, knocked over the other two when the pallet got crushed or maybe the brush hog knocked them over. Got about 80 stings pretty quickly. Just kept mowing
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Thumbs down Re: Fell Down With Full Box of Bees!

Quote Originally Posted by Rschmidt63025 View Post
    Hi Frank. Could you add a photo of your inspection stand? Iíve been trying to figure out what I want to use as an inspection stand, so I donít have to lift boxes from the ground, when putting the hive back together. Need something mobil, so I can move easily from hive to hive.

Thanks, Rob
    I think there are plans somewhere on the forum. It is best to set occupied boxes on a bottom cover placed on the stand so you dont lose bees in the grass. It is much easier picking up of setting down boxes on the stand than on the ground (unless you fall down in the process!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    I ran over 2 of my hives yesterday . Totally destroyed two of the four hives, knocked over the other two when the pallet got crushed or maybe the brush hog knocked them over.
    Yes I think that is a fairly certain way to rile up the bees!
    Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12