Band heater OAV accident

Default Band heater OAV accident

"This accident was operator error but I wanted folks to know what occurred because I think it can happen to anyone using this device.
    I've been using a (redacted) successfully for two years without a problem until yesterday. I use it per the manufacturer's instructions with one exception:

>"This vaporizer is most easily used from the back of the hive, where a small (¼”) hole is drilled in the back center of the ¾” rim of the bottom board that supports the bottom brood box."

The exception is that, with my equipment, I couldn't drill the holes in the bottom board rim so I drilled them in the box below the rear hand hold. It worked just fine until a frame inside one box managed to get aligned with the whole. That only leaves about 3/8 inch between the frame and the inside surface of the box where the hole is drilled. When I inserted the discharge tube, which is about 1 1/2 inches long, it must have butted up against the frame's end bar leaving no room for the gases to exit. As a result, when I turned the (redacted) over to sublimate the oxalic acid, the white Teflon lid that holds the oxalic acid exploded off the device spewing extremely hot gas and liquid OA everywhere. I had a full face respirator which saved my face from severe burns
    "
    full story here http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...e.com&P=170585
    I removed the product name do to the described operator error and it not being the products fault.
    I have argued the need for a full face respirator with hand held vaporizers, to witch many have rebuffed me. I see it like a seat belt... you don't need one on 99.999% of your drives, just when something goes wrong
    please don't alow this tread to drag great products threw the mud
    I posted to point out the often given beesorce recommendation of a paper dust mask and safty glasses with such devices is inadequate, not as an attack on a product or method of treatment, both are sold when used properly
    Last edited by msl; 08-29-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Band heater OAV accident

Cutting-off the delivery tube end at a 45 degree angle (or similar), rather than at 90 degrees would prevent such a rare blockage from occurring.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

happens to me a couple of times a year, the first time I did it 3 times on the same hive until I realized that the hole I drilled didn't go all the way through. I use the full face and also step to the side when inserting.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

i have had the exact same experience. I do use a full face respirator though so no facial burns. I dont tend to wear gloves very often though and i got a nice burn on my hand from this OAV explosion.
    I now ram a screwdriver through the hole ( gently) to make sure its open and the bees havent propolized the inside of the hole before putting the OAV device in.

If you’re going through the middle of the box, pull out the frames closest to the insertion point. I think what you’ll see will get you to go through the rim on the bottom board. It certainly made me change locations.

MSL, accident? no surely just a mishap. No injuries just an awakening that if you do something silly the result may not be the same. For you guys using the Mocap plugs, the plug is soft and tapered and will pop off without a big build up of pressure. Now all you guys without any common sense do not use OA in any way I would say stick with amitraz but here again one would worry that someone might eat the stuff so nothing is fool proof. The main thing here is to work from upwind and your face should be at least 2 ft away and if something untoward happens hold your breath and move away, simple as that. So dont make a mountain out of a molehill just to push your dribble.
    Johno

Someone on here recommended using a golf tee to plug the hole between treatments.

Common sense?? The next time you are in a Sporting Goods store look on a package of Culprit fishing worms. It states,"NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Barhopper View Post
    I think what you’ll see will get you to go through the rim on the bottom board. It certainly made me change locations.
    Seems like the 3/4" rim on the back side of the bottom board (at least many variations of it) is the way to go. Anyone see any negatives to drilling your hole here? I suppose you can always get some debris in the bottom, but I would think the pressure would blow out the obstructing debris before it blew off the teflon cap.

The problems I found when vaporizing through the rim in the back was that most of the vapor leakage is around the sticky area and I am not so sure that I get full coverage in the top box (3 boxes ) so I tend to go in near the top of the second box and try to get the nozzle between the lower and upper bars, I keep 4 silicone plugs, a 1/4" phillips screwdriver, my 1/2 teaspoon measure and a small pair of pliers in the same container as my OA so before I insert the nozzle into that 1/4" hole I use the screwdriver to clear the hole and make sure there are no obstructions not for a safety issue but a wasted time issue of having to do the job again.
    Johno

I have blown the Teflon cap off by not clearing the hole first. Assumed that I jabbed the end into propolis. Poke a small screwdriver through every time now, as stated above.

I use a 3 inch 1/4" eye bolt to plug the 1/4" hole and I use it to ram-rod the hole before use so I know there's no obstructions.everbilt-eye-bolts-806776-64_400_compressed.jpg
    Started April Fools Day 2017

It was a great day in the apiary until I clogged the nozzle on my "aparatus" and then...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

I did the exact same thing with my oxavap the first night I used it, obviously it's not the apparatus's fault but the user. I went to stab the tube into the hole and stabbed it at an odd angle that plugged the tub with some wood shaving and it blew the top off. It blew liquid OA all over the side of the hive and took me a second to realize what happened but no harm no foul. Lesson learned, stay out of the line of fire (the lid popping off) and pay attention to the task at hand when doing anything.
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.