Freezer vs fridge for storing comb?

Default Freezer vs fridge for storing comb?

After 2 years of beekeeping, I'm finally at a point where I will have some excess comb to store this winter.
    I'm in Central FL, and the wax moths and Hive beetles are plentiful here to say the least.
    I've read many times about freezing comb after an infestation, but would a fridge be ok to store healthy comb in for a few months?
    Maybe freeze for a couple days and then put in a fridge?
    I ask, because I have extra fridges, not so many extra freezers.
    Thanks much,
    Son of Pete
    Zone 9B - Central Florida Space Coast,
    Second Year - Treat with OAV - Plus or Minus 16 Hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

You need colder temps to kill moths. There is a study somewhere listing time for certain temps. But yeah fridge is fine once they are frozen. Moths metabolism will be so slow in fridge if they are alive they won't do any damage until you return combs to warmer temps. Shb will die in a fridge after a few days. If it's dry wax comb it's pretty safe. Wet combs and brood comb is what shb and moths are after.

In my area, combs are pretty safe to store inside once frozen year round. Unless your house has alot of bug activity. During Nov to May they can be stored anywhere basically.

After freezing extracted supers I stack supers in my basement alternating boxes so light and air can circulate. If I pull combs after Nov they don't need to be frozen. Never had a major problem but do find a few tunnels hear and there.

When I pull spring honey end of May I don't really have to worry about leaving wet supers around. After I return those wet combs to the hive and they are extracted again in July and August you need to be very careful and work quickly. Shb can bomb the whole super, eggs hatch in 2 days, turn into a huge mess. Both shb and moths do a ton of damage in warm temps like 80-90f.

Default Re: Freezer vs fridge for storing comb?

I would bag it up in airtight bags then freeze it. The freezer should kill everything (if it is a hard freeze, not just to 28C or some barely frozen temperature). I think you will be fine keeping everything in the fridge after a hard freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Pete View Post
    I'm in Central FL, and the wax moths and Hive beetles are plentiful here to say the least.
    Hey SOPete,

Space Coast here as well, these hive beetles are really something else. My hives are managing them, but I get some bloodlust with my hive tool when I pop the inner cover to find 8-10 SHB. That is with a freeman bottom board oil trap too! I am going to try to scope out an old working freezer here soon myself. I estimate I have about a year before I will have spare comb.

In what city/town are you located if you don't mind me asking?

kyeman, don't buy an old freezer. The money you save will be eaten up in your electrical bill in no time. Unless of course you can find a pretty modern used one. I got an incredible deal on a new one just by keeping my eye out for sales. If you have a couple local type of Appliance shops give them your number to give you a call if they get one in that is dented. They will take quite a bit off on dented appliances. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    kyeman, don't buy an old freezer. The money you save will be eaten up in your electrical bill in no time. Unless of course you can find a pretty modern used one. I got an incredible deal on a new one just by keeping my eye out for sales. If you have a couple local type of Appliance shops give them your number to give you a call if they get one in that is dented. They will take quite a bit off on dented appliances. J
    Thanks for the heads-up. I meant "used" when I said "old", but duly noted I'll keep an eye out for scratch and dent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeman View Post
    Hey SOPete,

In what city/town are you located if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm in Port St. John. It's a little unincorporated "town" between Titusville and Cocoa. Where are you?

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll bag and freeze my comb, and then move to the fridge after a couple days at 0 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Pete View Post
    I'm in Port St. John. It's a little unincorporated "town" between Titusville and Cocoa. Where are you?
    I'm in Titusville, Probably only about 15-20 minutes away from ya! Good to know some other keepers in the area.

You wouldn't happen to work out at Kennedy Space Center would you?

Mr. Pete, just understand frozen empty comb shatters easy. Drop one and it shatter into a million pieces of wax. The frozen comb is very brittle, just a soft touch and the thin wax breaks. The refrigerated comb is much more forgiving. So as beeks already advised, freeze then frig for long term.

Got it Van. Thanks for the info.
    Kye - sent you a PM with my number. Give me a call if you want to talk shop.