Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Last year's crystallized honey - now what?

6K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Eikel 
#1 ·
Almost all of our honey last year crystallized right after it was bottled. We have been using it by heating a little as we go, or just using it in crystallized form - but we didn't feel right about selling it, so we didn't try (though some had to have it anyway). So, we still have a few dozen quarts sitting here that look strange to anyone expecting golden liquid honey. That which we've warmed for our own use just went back to crystals if we did much of it at once (more than a cup or so). What do others do with all this crystallized honey? I've considered selling it all at discount to make room....or maybe making another product (mead? bochet?) What say you?

#2 ·
If it is in glass jars put it in your car with the windows rolled up. If you strain it a little finer it shouldn't crystallize as fast. Or look up the Dyce method of making creamed honey.

Some honey crystallizes faster than others. Canola comes to mind.

Alex

#7 ·
I suggest all of you readers watch a few of these videos of these refined neighbors of Charlie's in San Francisco who are his REFINED honey customers. Don't even ask what they are using that honey for.

https://youtu.be/3iFk2b43KfQ

More refined honey customers prefer liquid honey. We here in the city call crystallized honey bumpkin honey!!
If your bottles are glass just put them in a microwave.

#6 ·
I have a 50 watt heating pad that has 3 heat settings, I put this pad onto the bottom of a Styrofoam box in which I can stand 20 1lb jars of crystallized honey turn the pad control to medium put the lid on the Styrofoam box leave for 24 hours then remove the liquid honey good enough to sell as the temp does not go much above 100F
Johno

#8 ·
In the winter your heater vent on the floor makes a perfect liquefier, place you jars or bears on the vent and place a brown grocery bag over them.

A heating pad also works any time, with your jars on top place a towel over the jars to retain heat.

A very simple bucket warmer; a few empty deeps with a 60+ watt light bulb underneath, piece of plexy glass on top retains the heat, while the light shining through reminds you its on.

get a temp gun and keep your temp at around 100 or less to the flavor and good taste of your raw honey.

#11 ·
If you want consistent guaranteed success you should completely, and I mean completely decrystallize the honey before seeding it with a portion of a fine grain creamed honey. If you leave any of the original coarse grains that is often the form it will recrystallize to rather than the smooth creamy stuff you are looking for.

#15 ·
Stack up some supers and use a light bulb to make a heating box. Plug the light into a seedling heating mat temperature controller, about 20 bucks on amazon. It has a temp. Probe and you can set it for your desired temp and it will hold that temp for you.

#17 ·
Stack up some supers and use a light bulb to make a heating box. Plug the light into a seedling heating mat temperature controller, about 20 bucks on amazon. It has a temp. Probe and you can set it for your desired temp and it will hold that temp for you.

Same general idea of using existing boxes and QEs but using an STC-1000 ($16) as the thermostat control for two light bulbs. Minimal "special equipment" and also dries out sugar bricks.

Electrical wiring Electronics Wall Room Technology
Table Wood Furniture Hardwood Room

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.