Sourwood honey 2018 a total bust
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sourwood honey 2018 a total bust

I pulled supers from my mountain hives a couple of weeks ago.
    Nada!
    The hives were loaded with bees a healthy. The trees bloomed.
    Most disappointing.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Seems the same here in east Tennessee. I extracted some supers right before the sourwood and put them back on and they just maintained through the whole bloom. Didnt lose weight or honey but didnt gain anything i was starting to think my place wasnt a good sourwood yard but maybe it was just a bust this year. i know there are sourwood trees all over that mountain and my bees can work up to 3100 foot evelvation. so It may have been a bust here too. And even our local bee supply the guy that runs it. I overheard telling someone there buying honey that asked when they would have there sourwood honey and he told him they were having it tested to make sure it even had any sourwood in it . So I'd assume that meant it wasn't that good of a year for him either

Default Re: Sourwood honey 2018 a total bust

sorry to hear that dan. any thoughts as to why? perhaps not enough rain during the bloom?

i'm thinking that's what put a dent in our tulip poplar flow here earlier this season.

after our last good rain about a week ago foraging was very strong, it almost looked like the main spring flow was on.

since then it has dried up so much that the vegetation is wilting, and foraging is now a fraction of what it was.

I hate to hear the sourwood honey is a bust. Some of my favorite honey is sourwood although improperly named as the Honey is light and mild.

Tupelo Honey had a good year, this year, 2018.

North Arkansas had an exceptional year for Honey. Fact is I kept hearing the same story from local beeks: “my bees are Honey bound, the queen has no place to lay.” Honey bound is a good problem to have. Very rare in this neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    any thoughts as to why?
    I have no idea. In the seven years that I’ve kept bees in that mountain yard, this is the second time. I wonder if the trees are on some sort of cycle.
    Tulip poplar was nonexistent here as well. The ground was plenty wet....so I wouldn't blame a lack of rain. All the same it was an exceptional year for honey production. Hard to figure.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Every sourwood tree I have seen in the state this year is covered in those awful caterpillar cocoon nest things. Some trees around my house are just big balls of spider web looking stuff.

But, I noticed the sumac flow lasted about 2 days and then all the flowers shriveled. There is some flow going on right now.... golden rod maybe. There has not been a lot of action in August... much less than last year.

Do ya reckon that the bees had something besides tulip poplar that they were already working when the poplar bloomed. My honey is light in color this year.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

i could see the bees working the tulip poplar blooms in my yard but the truth is there are very many things blooming at that time.

the old timers here say that tulip poplar nectar is responsible for the bulk of the honey made during the main spring nectar flow.

i was thinking that getting no rain during the bloom may have hindered the nectar production enough to matter, but it may be as dan says with respect to it being cyclical.

my honey was lighter on average compared to previous years as well t.

The poplar here was great I didn't expect how much room they really needed during it. But the sourwood didn't happen I was wondering if it wasn't to hot or we had some days where it would pour maybe rain so hard it knock the blooms off??? idk?

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    so I wouldn't blame a lack of rain.
    Could it have been too much rain? It's been VERY wet here this year.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Sorry to hear about the lack of sourwood flow. Despite that fact, I doubt it will affect the unscrupulous honey sellers that label any honey that's semi-light as "sourwood". There's one local apiary here that seems to have sourwood honey year round regardless of what the sourwood flow was like.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

We’ve had a wonderfully wet spring and summer. I don’t ever remember growing things not turning brown in July and August….but not this year.
    Too much rain….not enough rain….too hot…..too cold…..the winter too long…too short….a late freeze……no late freeze are all among a farmer’s lament. And we are farmers of sorts, after all.
    The tulip poplar trees simply didn’t bloom here. They tend to be obvious and I never saw any. One old timer said that it was because some of the early spring torrential rains knocked the buds off.
    I’m less sure. I doubt if it is ever as simple as we want to believe.
    As I pull the last of this year’s supers this week….I am pleased with my local wildflower harvest….tulip poplar or not.
    I am disappointed with the sourwood. That yard is 200 miles round trip and I put just as much into it as I do every other year. This year for naught. This is beekeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    Despite that fact, I doubt it will affect the unscrupulous honey sellers that label any honey that's semi-light as "sourwood". There's one local apiary here that seems to have sourwood honey year round regardless of what the sourwood flow was like.
    Sadly, I've seen this. I wonder if sometimes the sourwood don't produce nectar in one place yet thirty miles away they go gangbusters. I don't really know. I do agree that there is the 'tourist' version of sourwood for sale regardless.

We have been nothing but wet, tulip popular, black locust both got rained out. Bees would start to draw wax and just stop with a few cells filled.

We harvested around 1/2 the amount of honey we got last year, with more hives this year.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I remember looking up at the poplars this spring and seeing a lot of unopened flowers, thinking it was going to be a good start to the year...…..a couple days later we had a hard freeze killing the vast majority of flowers. This was the lightest color honey we've had.
    Our sourwoods are still trying to recover from the drought we had a couple of years ago. Many around my house are still only leafing out about half of what they used to. Our elevation is only about 900 ft so we don't get much if any honey from them.

I was able to get 3 total supers of sourwood from 5 hives in the SC mountains. Most keepers I know didnt get much from sourwood.

Were your hives in Athens?
    30 hives and counting...
    Huntsville, AL: Alabama's best kept secret

Quote Originally Posted by theriverhawk View Post
    Were your hives in Athens?
    Are you asking me?
    If so, my sourwood yard is about 15 miles west of Franklin, NC.

I spoke with a commercial guy in Kentucky who moves a portion of his hives to Eastern kentucky, said sourwood was terrible.

Mostly a bust in Young Harris, GA. Lots of rain. Got just enough for the family. Dark and only somewhat Sourwood in character.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast