Pallets or 4"x4" through cinder block for a hive stand. Whats best in your opinion? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Pallets or 4"x4" through cinder block for a hive stand. Whats best in your opini

nuttin' fancy here. just 2x6s laid across the top of cinder blocks. cheap, easy, adequate. But my hives stay in the same place.
    Now, if you need to move them frequently, maybe need a migratory setup, pallets are the answer.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pallets or 4"x4" through cinder block for a hive stand. Whats best in your opini

My sleek, elegant ant proof hive stands reflect the beauty of beekeeping and are a must have for the season. No wonder Ollie is so jealous!!!

61C058E6-A9F7-4B57-8043-14BB85870224.jpg
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

When I ran the numbers it was cheaper to do 2 block per hive then use blocks and 4x4s and with the mix of KTBHs, Langs, Warres, and matting nucs in each format as well the block are more or less universal.
    I also have 6 way pallets and plamer style 2x4 stands as well .. I like the isolation and flexibility of single stands on 2 blocks, keeps the vibration of working one hive from traveling to the next.
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by f650cs View Post
    My stands are closest match to these. Flat side down. This is how my mentor showed me when I started 8 years ago, and what a blessing it turned out to be during a year of a near miss hurricane, and last year's direct hit hurricane. Ratchet straps through the cinder block openings (though I didn't have nearly enough straps) and/or another cinder on top to keep hive in place.

First few years I double stacked the cinder blocks but then learned that a hive can get too tall with supers and difficult to take down the top full supers after a flow. Now I only do single story.

I also will sometimes use 3 cinders lined up and have middle cinder share 2 hives.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

I started with hives on rails on blocks.
    ( & still have some in that confivuration in an out yard)
    Since i have aquired "pallet fork technology" every thing moving forward will be on pallets.

Pallets are on blocks untill it gets too tall to work. Then on bricks.
    Salvage pallets are "structurally augmented" to deal with sagging.
    Plastic & scrap/rotten osb under pallet to control grass / weeds.
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

For singles I do cement blocks 2 stories high. I'm 6'1" so a single story is too low.

For multiples I just build a 2x4 rectangle for on top of the blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use the block and rail configuration that many have mentioned here....but i find working the middle hives from the back of the hives more difficult than the two on the ends. I prefer them two by two rather than a long row of hives.

Quote Originally Posted by SDiver40 View Post
    I prefer up off the ground. No stooping over to work the hive. Put down some plastic and mulch then sit the hives on treated 4x4.
    Dont know why my pictures are side ways??
    Attachment 42917

Attachment 42919
    a little nudge and that's gonna fall over
    Started April Fools Day 2017

old swing set

Started April Fools Day 2017

Double post
    Tom
    Tater Road Apiary

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    a little nudge and that's gonna fall over

They been standing for 2 years now. We have had several high wind storms that up rooted trees. Hives never moved.
    Tom
    Tater Road Apiary

Charlie B's Ant Proof Bee Hive Stands are by far, the very best!

Yes, it takes some extra work, but the final results are far worth it...

We are still mass producing them...even to this day!

Ant Proof Stand.jpgAnt Proof Stand 2.jpg

And if you have any extra scrap metal laying around or if you can find some at the local scrap/junk yard, you could always weld up some stands too!

Ant Proof Stand 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDave View Post
    Looking to build one or the other and looking for some pros and cons of each. Both would be up on cinder blocks.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Picnic table.

Seriously ... tradition notwithstanding, beehives were never meant to be just above the ground. If you're only doing a few hives, I would build mini picnic-tables on stone slabs. The only problem is inspections and swapping supers is difficult if the base is above waist height.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Since Ollie decided this will be a show and tell thread, this is a picture of one of my hive stands. All five look the same. Not nearly as nice, but gets the job done. I should have put the blocks flat too.

Attachment 42899
    Mine look like yours and have found that we need a ladder to remove supers. So we are lowering the stands to one block. Unfortunately one is sunk in the ground so it canít be moved. Keeping the stands moveable is good.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDave View Post
    Looking to build one or the other and looking for some pros and cons of each. Both would be up on cinder blocks.

Thanks,
    Dave
    I agree with others that a pallet is too large and rots. They're made for short term use for specific purposes, not a long term solution. A 4x4 will not be the right type of stand either if you have to deal with ants. My dear husband makes the stands for our apiary.BeeStand.jpg

An attachment of one of my hives on a stand. The legs were made by cutting 1 1/2" tubes for fencing and using a hole saw blade. If ants come knocking I use a q-tip and apply Vicks Vaporub around the metal. It works. The grease is very difficul to eventually remove though. A degreaser works.
    Last edited by TehachapiGal; 08-31-2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Cleaned up a few typ-0s

I use these in the home apiary. My design. Next year I am going on the pallet route for my outyards. WP_20170212_15_40_02_Pro.jpg

6_22_2018 hive stand.jpg2017-11-24 15.45.09.jpg
    I saw this idea on Pinterest and I thought I could do this by myself! No tools! Two cinderblocks high and 8' 4"x4" treated lumber threaded through the holes. It works great! It was a little tricky to level. I have room for my tools and stuff, maybe another hive someday, I like sit on the cinderblocks and watch the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by krismellebrand View Post
    6_22_2018 hive stand.jpg2017-11-24 15.45.09.jpg
    I saw this idea on Pinterest and I thought I could do this by myself! No tools! Two cinderblocks high and 8' 4"x4" treated lumber threaded through the holes. It works great! It was a little tricky to level. I have room for my tools and stuff, maybe another hive someday, I like sit on the cinderblocks and watch the bees.
    Very nice and sturdy. The extra space on the hive stand makes inspections easy without having to put the boxes on the ground. I started placing a white sheet under the area where I put the boxes during inspection to make it easy to see the nurse bees. They can't fly yet and some of them always seem to fall off the frames and onto the ground. They need to be picked up and put back into the boxes after inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by TehachapiGal View Post
    Very nice and sturdy. The extra space on the hive stand makes inspections easy without having to put the boxes on the ground. I started placing a white sheet under the area where I put the boxes during inspection to make it easy to see the nurse bees. They can't fly yet and some of them always seem to fall off the frames and onto the ground. They need to be picked up and put back into the boxes after inspection.
    the white sheet is a good idea! thanks!

Thought I would throw a photos of my hive stands in the mix.amy byard.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast