Wax Moths & using BT (did not work)

Default Wax Moths & using BT (did not work)

I wanted to store some frames so after reading lots of posts decided to use a BT solution. I took each frame and visually checked it and if there was any webbing I took care of those larvae by scraping and sitting in the sun. I sprayed each frame liberally with the BT solution and stored 10 per Sterlite plastic box.
    Today, I needed a few frames so I went to my stored frames. Completely infested with wax moths! It has only been 2 weeks. Not only does it seem like I did not spray them, it looks like I actually attracted them. So I just lost 30 frames, and I am extremely pissed off. So I have 2 questions.

1) what did I do wrong?
    2). What other tried and true, as close to fool proof ways to store frames and not have them infested itís wax moths

I would love some advice of methods that have really worked
    Thanks,
    Damien

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax Moths & using BT (did not work)

There are at least 3 different strains of BT available for different purposes. Which one did you use? It needs to be the XenTari BT form.

I understand your frustrations, I too had a similar problem with BTa. BTa has a shelf life of about two years. Many of the online suppliers sell the product that is expired or very near it's expiration date. Hopefully yours was expired and that was the root cause of problem.

You application was correct and should have prevented moth damage. The only thing I would try is placing the frames in a deep freezer for 48 hour prior to treatment so that any SHB or was moth eggs would be destroyed.

Then check the expiration on the bags which could be by date or code. The expiration date can be determined by contacting the manufacturer. Ensure product is fresh.

Multiple strauns of BT are available, use only BTa.

Hope this helps.

It was Thuricide brand Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT)

Kurstaki and aizawa both will kill wax moth larvae.I have used both and got the same results.Wax worms hit the wax and when they get about 1/8" - 1/4" they die.They will only travel a short distance before they die also.When you mix it you use it then because it wont last very long.I think it saw 24 hours or something like that.Kurstaki is Thuracide in the garden sections and it tends to be a lot more expensive that aizawa.The problem with aizawa is you have to buy a big bag.And like Geno says it may have been expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    It was Thuricide brand Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT)
    That is where you went wrong. That variety of BT will not kill wax moths but it does work great on those that attack garden vegetables. The Thuricide label will list what moths and caterpillars it kills. You MUST use the varieties Snapper lists above, kurstaki and aizawa and the product brand names are Xentari or Certan. I believe both are available on Amazon. You are not the first poster on this forum to make that mistake.

XenTari BT aizawai works well...BTa

We had a large wax moth infestation. We sprayed all frames that had drawn comb with Xentari. Incredibly effective. Not one wax moth since then.

On the other hand, we experimented by NOT spraying a few frames. Massive wax moth infestation.

So the Xentari works incredibly well for us.

As others have mentioned...you need to check the expiration date! Get some fresh Xentari and your wax moth problems are over.
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 08-23-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks everyone, I guess I did not know there were different types of the BT

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    That is where you went wrong. That variety of BT will not kill wax moths but it does work great on those that attack garden vegetables. The Thuricide label will list what moths and caterpillars it kills. You MUST use the varieties Snapper lists above, kurstaki and aizawa and the product brand names are Xentari or Certan. I believe both are available on Amazon. You are not the first poster on this forum to make that mistake.
    Wax moths are Lepidoptera.Bt A and Bt K both kill lepidoptera.I am not the only person who has used BtK.I buy BtA because I use a lot of it around here.BtK has been used when I ran shot of BtA and it does work but those small bottles are way more expensive.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_wax_moth