A unique way to clean your hive tools.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A unique way to clean your hive tools.

There's been a lot of discussion lately about how to properly clean a hive tool. Today I made a short video of how I do it. I know there's a lot of these out there but, please take the time to view my video. I add a unique twist. - Thanks for watching-
    https://youtu.be/gyzzBVRfq_A

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A unique way to clean your hive tools.

Uh, no. Funny video. Unfortunately, I'm sure someone will try that.

On a more serious note, as a mentor to several new beekeepers, I clean my hive tool with Everclear and paper towels to prevent the possible spread of disease.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I clean my hive tool with Everclear and paper towels to prevent the possible spread of disease.
    Stick it in the smoker. Way cheaper than everclear, sterilizes it well.

The method taught to me by two different bee inspectors from two different states:

Scrub debris off using stainless steel scrubbie pad, water and Comet cleanser powder with bleach. This removes gross contamination (wax and propolis). Rinse in clear water. Followed by a soak in rubbing alcohol. This works in the field - just take a jug of water with you for the first step and clean on the site, before moving to the next stop. Do the soak in a shallow Tupperware container, snapped tightly closed.

When I am at home and have easy access to hot tap water (140F) I use that for the scrubbing. My hive tools have taken on the lustrous patina of old sterling from all the fine scratches from the scrubbie.

Everclear is OK, but much more expensive - and harder to get -than isopropyl (rubbing alcohol).

Nancy

I have plenty of Everclear from when I thought I was going OAF. Might as well use for this cause I'm not crazy enough to actually drink that stuff. Can't afford to fry any more of my dwindling supply of healthy brain cells.

20180817_230544.jpg
    Still looks brand new.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 08-17-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I use a pocket knife. Done!

Hanging my hive tool from a shepherds hook (with scrap wire) and burning it clean with a blow torch (I have discolored it) works well for me. The first time burning the paint off stunk a bit, but after that it was much easier.

I assume that all the hives in one apiary 'share' whatever diseases are present so have individual hive tools for each apiary. They stay in the apiary. These are left in the apiary in a covered bucket of strong washing soda. There's very little that can survive a week in that. The same bucket contains a small sharp knife for cutting out queen cells.
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

I don't really understand the problem ... mind you, I've never owned a hive tool, so I wouldn't, would I ?

I've always used a pallet-knife to crack boxes open - very sharp edge and uber-thin flexible blade - so it's never damaged a box yet. Perfect for the job, and is without doubt my favourite tool: I use it for other purposes too, so any wax or propolis gets scraped-off every few days. For lifting frames I use a large screwdriver - always have, always will - and that has never been cleaned, not even once. No need.

A couple of days ago I mislaid my bee-brush, and took to using a 1.5" natural bristle paint brush (unused !) instead - d'you know, I now prefer using this to 'the real thing'.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Alison just started soaking them in a water and old-fashioned washing soda mixture with good results.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

That's some kind of special canal water!

I use a razor blade on j-hook hive tool. The tool is made from punched flat stock so the razorblade makes quick work of propolis. Takes less than a minutetl to make it look brand new again. I do it maybe twice a year.

I don't care for the regular hive tool.

This whole video is a scam: Fire in a rubber bucket, lighting wood pellets in water, pulling out a blue tool with a scan tag on it. The original tool did not have a scan tag. This guy is scamming you. He place a flammable liquid in the bucket when he placed the bucket on the ground and is out of site. The sand does nothing in the bucket.

It’s all a scam and a very poor one.

Aw, come on. Really? It's a spoof. That is why I called it funny. It was SOOO obvious. I give him credit for not busting out laughing during making it.

A stainless steel brush on my bench grinder does the trick in less than a minute.

mostly use my thumb nail some times another hive tool not rocket science
    Iím really not that serious

Rubbing alcohol only for me.

I just hope the bees are not drinking the water he got from that ditch, I have heard of fire water, but that is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Van from Arkansas View Post
    This whole video is a scam: Fire in a rubber bucket, lighting wood pellets in water, pulling out a blue tool with a scan tag on it. The original tool did not have a scan tag. This guy is scamming you. He place a flammable liquid in the bucket when he placed the bucket on the ground and is out of site. The sand does nothing in the bucket.

Itís all a scam and a very poor one.
    How dare you malign the integrity of this fine beekeeper. You have no evidence!

I use the torch method. Literally takes about 30 seconds. A quick once over with a flame and wipe it clean with a rag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast