split gone bad - need advice

Default split gone bad - need advice

Hello,

I'm a beginning beekeeper and need some advice on a split that hasn't gone so well...

I split from a highly congested hive two weeks ago by taking two frames with capped brood/larvae covered with bees and set them into a new deep with two frames of capped/uncapped honey, the rest of the frames I put in were foundation and a frame feeder in place of one of the frames. After this (and probably too soon) I put a caged queen in by the brood, filled the frame feeder, and closed up the hive for a week.

After a week the queen cage was empty but there was no queen in the hive (she was marked). It looked like almost all of the bees I split stayed with the new hive though. In looking a little closer I found a large queen cell on one of the brood frames. So, in just having lost a queen, I thought maybe I would just let the colony make their own thinking she would be accepted easier.

I went back into the hive a few days ago to find the queen cell gone and no queen. I have looked each day for the past 3 days. I looked pretty thoroughly. Now there seems to be a couple of smaller queen cells on a frame but not as large as the previous one.

Quite a bit of brood has hatched out now and there are no more larvae. There is still some capped brood on the two frames but not much. Also, now almost all available drawn cells are filled with sugar syrup.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I was going to re-queen again with another caged queen but am concerned with so much syrup in the brood box, she would not have anywhere to lay until new comb was drawn on the foundation frames. Conversely, if I let the queen cells develop instead, there would still be excess syrup in the brood box and I would have the same issue. Also, it appears as though I took mostly nurse bees when I did the split. Will those bees turn into foragers eventually as brood hatches?

This was my first split attempt and I hope I didn't mess it up beyond recovery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: split gone bad - need advice

This is what I would do. Shake the bees off the frames with all the capped brood and syrup and return those frames to the parent hive. Get two new frames full of capped brood and put them in the split. Introduce a new mated queen and do not do anything like poking a hole through the candy plug, just remove the cork. The bees need and want a queen. They will accept her. As the new capped brood emerges, the new queen will have room to lay. Get the two honey frames out as well and only leave the feeder. Fill the blanks with drawn comb if you have it or foundation if you do not. To get some drawn comb, rinse the syrup out of a frame with a sprayer and shake it dry. I do this with fermented honey frames from SHB.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: split gone bad - need advice

The new queen maybe in the group of bees or hiding on the sides of the hives. Virgins are hard to spot, they are runny and like to hide. What you can try is put a frame of fresh eggs and larva and check again the next day for queen cells. If you find queencells then the hive is queenless. If there is no queencells, then there is a queen in it.

Thank you for your responses. Sorry for the delay, been working a lot of hours recently and got rain last week so xouldnt go into the hive. Actually, Im going to take both suggestions. I have swapped out two syrup filled frames with two brood filled frames in hopes that I just missed seeing the new queen. When I go back in another week and a half if i dont see any new eggs or young larvae I figure there is no queen and will order one for replacement. If there is a queen in there immediate problem solved. Gonna be hard to wait that long.......