Home mixed formic, Glycerine ?

Default Home mixed formic, Glycerine ?

Bulk BioDiesel sourced 90% formic can be cut to 50-60% for use in various "kitchen chemistry" substitutes for MAQS.

One issue with these formulation is the "flashy" nature of the formic gas release in the resultant dilution.

Has anyone used the humectants Glycerine or Propylene Glycol to slow the formic evaporation and make the mixtures less flashy?

Glycerine-water solutions have a higher heat of enthalpy, slowing water evaporation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Home mixed formic, Glycerine ?

I played a bit with making a gel with diluted formic and water. The gel can be made a number of ways but I was familiar with the easily obtained psyllium husk powder from health food stores. The gel slows transfer of liquid to the evaporative surface giving a slow release. I tested for weight loss of a sample in gel compared to open container and it appeared to have promise of a workable slow release method.

That was about the time I switched to Oxalic vaporization and I did not take the experiment to any conclusion. It appeared possible to come to a much lower cost home brew treatment than the Maqs. strips.

Water and glycerine mix quite well with formic and perhaps do not interfere with the gell forming abilities of psyllium powder.
    Frank