How to stop ants climbing up the hive stand?

Default How to stop ants climbing up the hive stand?

There have been several discussions on ants getting into hives. I had the big black ants that cinimion and DE did not phase. I put plastic containers with oil under the 2x4 and they worked for a while but they filled up with water and bees. There has to be a more permanent and cleaner way to protect the bees. Noticed last night that I saw some very small sugar or mini ant now that the plastic containers are off the leg.

Seeing people use pvc caps turned up side down and axle grease in the cap looks nice on the metal but what or how would you block off 2x4 or other wood stands? Reading some people tried just wiping the grease on the legs does not seem to last that long and gets nasty quickly.

I was thinking a piece of bigger rope might hold the grease longer if it was fastened tightly around the wood and You could wipe extra grease up under the rope for longer use might work.

Another thought is to use a thin strip of wood 1x?" at 90 OR Better cut the wood strip on the bottom like a home made hive handle and just build a box around the leg braces seems simple rig and place the grease in the protected angle on the bottom cut for protection.

I built the Double hive stand from "Build Your Own Beekeeping equipment" and found that the bottom brace is too close to the ground so I went in and rebuilt the stand moving the support higher off the ground when the ants and other crawling bugs become a problem.
    I was thinking about boxing the bottom of the 2x4 with the above strip even at the bottom and just add the 1x2 to finish blocking out the leg for better protection but not sure the grease is protected as well on the bottom side even with a 2 inch over hang.

What works for you? What is a better rig to stop these crawlers?

Snapper I tried some of the borax mix. It helped but did not kill all the bugs sitting on the edge of the woods. Mike B. had a similar mix with grape jelly in his organic beekeeping recipe instead of sugar since he thought the bees were not as attracted but the other critters were.
    A similar mix cleaned the roaches out of my old out door shed that I am rebuilding to hold bee gear. (when I get time ) I used the old dry dog food and borax and little powder sugar blended mix placed in small bottle caps for this.

I have posted my drama and trauma of starting beekeeping again after 25 years. Lot to learn from having bees from 1958 to 1993. My beekeeping Book was from 1953. Few Changes.

I have found from this board a good friend and with the help of the great people on the board I have managed to get my one nuc strong enough to split two weeks ago and still have a Baton Rouge lay all over queen and a new shy BeeWeaver Buckfast queen that appears to be off to a good start.

Thanks to all that have helped and for the future help as I run thru the "new" Beekeeping challenges one at a time.
    Thanks to all.
    Have a great day.
    Jim
    Last edited by JimD; 08-07-2018 at 05:47 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to stop ants climbing up the hive stand?

I have had ant problems and just a couple weeks back I saw on another web site where they talked about making up a borax,sugar and water solution and putting a little in jars with holes in the lid small enough so bees cant get to it.I tried it and it works pretty good. 1/2 cup sugar,1 1/2 tablespoon borax and 1 1/2 cup water.Dont add too much borax and ants die before they get back to the nest to feed the others and too little and they just get sickly.I had ants really bad inside and out by hives and wiped them out.

Started April Fools Day 2017

RV

That is a great idea. Any other great ideas?

Looking and depending on the spread that might be a great way to help the boss get rid of those extra cookie sheets that are old and never used but still in the cabinet racks as a cheap quick way to do this for this type of hive stand

How much lip do you need to keep the white grease clean? Could you use old cookie sheets so you use 1 per bracket vs two pie pans?

I like the idea of the screw eye the way you used it. Those can be a pain depending on which hive tool you have esp for me.

I used to run 3 of the Texas Kayak fishing forums and we were all ways rigging and brain storming. It is amazing what you can get from a bunch of people sharing their ideas and building on them. I am cheap like Don the fat bee man.

I can see a spin on this even for how my hive stand is built and braced. You would have to go to below the bottom brace but you could cut a hole to match the dimensions of your wood, slide it on, screw it to the bottom of the brace then seal the gaps between the wood and pan and spray it with the white grease. That is a great idea you came up with.
    Last edited by JimD; 08-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.

What is it about Neverwet that ants wont cross?

I was having this problem last year and in August I cut and burned the ends on some 5/8 cotton fiber rope and I soaked the pieces in new oil and coated the rope with axle grease. Most barriers either fill up with water with leg cans or rain and dirt quickly stop where grease is just smeared on pipe or wood legs

I cut the rope to length to go around the stand legs two full times + high on the legs and nailed the rope tightly in place and recoated with the grease.

I looked this week and they barriers look as good as they did when I did them back last summer. If there is a problem just recoat with the grease when needed.

Appears to be a cheap and effective long term fix to ants and other crawling bugs getting into the hive.

Let me know how it works for you.

Jim

Tanglefoot works great but you have to put it where the bees won't get stuck to it.

I put vasoline on the legs of my stand last year and it worked well.

I am in the camp of dont worry about it. If the girls dont want the ants in the hive they will keep them out.

One of my first students was all worried about ants on his first hives. I said, dont worry about it. He proceeded to spend the spring and most of the summer trying to battle them.

In the end all the attempts failed, and winter came and the girls kicked them out.

IMHO spend your effort on something else.

Last year I had a major ant problem in my backyard apiary.
    It seemed like everything from the small sugar ants to the large carpenter ants were in and on my hives. Some of the Argentine Ants were even seen chasing down one of my bees. ...What!? Clearly the bees were being annoyed by them.

This ment war. Well, sort of. Something needed to be done and the search for solutions was on.

I stumbled upon a Youtuber and beekeeper name Jeff Willard. He as done some amazing experiments and development on Hive beetle and ant barriers using Rust-oleum’s NeverWet. It is a 2 part surface treatment intended for creating a liquid repelling barrier. Oddly enough insects find it difficult or impossible to walk on (bees also). They just can’t get a grip to walk across it.
    Here is the link to one of his videos.URL: https://bit.ly/2DT6Wd8
    Make sure you look at his others. You will find them interesting.

I had some NeverWet laying around, so I thought I’d try some on some hive stand legs.

I’m using treated 4x4’s mounted on 2x6’s for a 7’ hive stand. The top 4 inches of the legs were primed with 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of NeverWet step 1 base coat, and 3 coats of step 2 top coat. Use 30 min. drying time between coats.

For me it was important to note the honey bees can't walk across this either. So that is something to keep in mind using this stuff.

I will see if this really works. Now if I can only do something about those pesty wasps and yellow jackets. Get your traps out early to get the queens to help keep them at bay.
    IMG_20190505_132540.jpg
    IMG_20190505_173024_3.jpg

for yellow jackekts , a small tin of salmon cat food with 4 drops of fipronil (in walmart dog flee and tick treatment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3EYx1_E-8Y
    Started April Fools Day 2017