There have been several discussions on ants getting into hives. I had the big black ants that cinimion and DE did not phase. I put plastic containers with oil under the 2x4 and they worked for a while but they filled up with water and bees. There has to be a more permanent and cleaner way to protect the bees. Noticed last night that I saw some very small sugar or mini ant now that the plastic containers are off the leg.
Seeing people use pvc caps turned up side down and axle grease in the cap looks nice on the metal but what or how would you block off 2x4 or other wood stands? Reading some people tried just wiping the grease on the legs does not seem to last that long and gets nasty quickly.
I was thinking a piece of bigger rope might hold the grease longer if it was fastened tightly around the wood and You could wipe extra grease up under the rope for longer use might work.
Another thought is to use a thin strip of wood 1x?" at 90 OR Better cut the wood strip on the bottom like a home made hive handle and just build a box around the leg braces seems simple rig and place the grease in the protected angle on the bottom cut for protection.
I built the Double hive stand from "Build Your Own Beekeeping equipment" and found that the bottom brace is too close to the ground so I went in and rebuilt the stand moving the support higher off the ground when the ants and other crawling bugs become a problem.
I was thinking about boxing the bottom of the 2x4 with the above strip even at the bottom and just add the 1x2 to finish blocking out the leg for better protection but not sure the grease is protected as well on the bottom side even with a 2 inch over hang.
What works for you? What is a better rig to stop these crawlers?
Snapper I tried some of the borax mix. It helped but did not kill all the bugs sitting on the edge of the woods. Mike B. had a similar mix with grape jelly in his organic beekeeping recipe instead of sugar since he thought the bees were not as attracted but the other critters were.
A similar mix cleaned the roaches out of my old out door shed that I am rebuilding to hold bee gear. (when I get time ) I used the old dry dog food and borax and little powder sugar blended mix placed in small bottle caps for this.
I have posted my drama and trauma of starting beekeeping again after 25 years. Lot to learn from having bees from 1958 to 1993. My beekeeping Book was from 1953. Few Changes.
I have found from this board a good friend and with the help of the great people on the board I have managed to get my one nuc strong enough to split two weeks ago and still have a Baton Rouge lay all over queen and a new shy BeeWeaver Buckfast queen that appears to be off to a good start.
Thanks to all that have helped and for the future help as I run thru the "new" Beekeeping challenges one at a time.
Thanks to all.
Have a great day.