Ideas for extendng 17" bars to 19"

Default Ideas for extendng 17" bars to 19"

Hi everyone. I'm converting my TBHs to 19" in order to run them with Langstroth hives (it also seems that more and more TBH beekeepers are running 19in bars). Does anyone have or has anyone seen some good ideas to extend existing 17" bars to 19"? I have 3 four foot hive and a nuc with 17" bars and I don't want to waste the bars (with or without comb). I'm thinking of just attaching thin 19in strips to the top of the 17" bars.

Game plan is to move combs from 2 TBHs into foundationless frames in langstroth hives and then covert to two empty Top Bar hives to 19" by replacing the ends. I'm trying to reuse the sides as they are made of cedar and have windows.

Look forward to your thoughts and ideas!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ideas for extendng 17" bars to 19"

It is easy enough to attach the 19" strip of wood directly onto the top of the 17" bar. I've done it plenty of times to help others get started, but I also think it might create an area for SHB to hide if the mechanism of attachment offers any sort of gaps between the two. Depending on what type of comb guides you have, you might just slice off the 17" empty drawn comb and attach it to new 19" bars with painter's tape. (I've not had this be successful with the triangular comb guides) This works well for me on the straight sided comb guides where I can mush the top of the comb into it.

If you screw a 19 inch bar atop your 17 inch bar you could always add a 2 inch piece to the end of your 17 and attach it also to the 19 inch one. Wouldn't be pretty but would take up the empty space. I made mine with 19 inch bars to start with cause my brother uses Lang's.

Thanks to both of you for the input. Ruthie, I agree that the biggest issue of just adding a 19" strip of wood would be the gaps that might shelter SHBs and the like. MCR, I think your idea would work. I was also thinking about a 19" strip with two 1 inch pieces pieces placed on the bottom at the ends =------= that the original bars would fit into. Might also give flexibility in providing nucs to both 17" and 19" TBH beekeepers. With 3 hives of 17" bars, I want to re-use whatever I can. Thanks again for your input!