Grafted way too many queen cells than I can use. What are my options? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I used four corks in the mini nuc feeder and they worked well.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Grafted way too many queen cells than I can use. What are my options?

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Are you Sure? I think you said you bought double nucs. I think that video is for mini nucs. The doubles have a larger frame that ML sells a growing box for. Can 1.5 cups of bees draw that bigger set of combs?
    Frank,

I believe the double nucs are still mini nucs...with tiny bit larger frames and comb surface area. They are by no means anywhere near our full 5 frame nucs in comb surface area or internal cubic inches.

I have not tried them yet, but I am planning on installing a maximum of 1.5-2 cups of nurse bees per side, hence, 3-4 cups of nurse bees total per double mini nuc. I think they should have labeled these double nucs as mini double nucs...it seems a much more accurate description.

But please remember, I am still a total newbie and do not know much compared to bee keepers here that have decades of experience...

Hope this helps!

Corks? So sorry, I did not understand what you were using the corks for...

Default Re: Grafted way too many queen cells than I can use. What are my options?

Soar, the corks give the bees something to stand on in the feeder. Helps keep them from drowning.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Soar, the corks give the bees something to stand on in the feeder. Helps keep them from drowning.
    Thank you JW!

I hated the double mini mating nucs. I was always fighting the other side. I am trying the smaller single mini mating nucs. With these, I can pull the feeder insert out and add 2 more frames (go from 3 to 5 small frames), but it only comes with 3 frames... so I will 3D print the additional. I get them from AliExpress for about $14-15 shipped (they take 30-60 days to arrive). They are shipped two to a soft shipping pouch and have had 2 that were cracked a bit but repairable (clear Gorilla glue... NOT the Gorilla Super Glue) and one that was crushed (refund requested). Yes, the frames in the single mini are smaller than the frames in the double mini. It is probably too late for you to receive them and still use them this year, but buy now to be ready for next year.IMG_7067.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHiveGuy View Post
    I hated the double mini mating nucs. I was always fighting the other side. I am trying the smaller single mini mating nucs. With these, I can pull the feeder insert out and add 2 more frames (go from 3 to 5 small frames), but it only comes with 3 frames... so I will 3D print the additional. I get them from AliExpress for about $14-15 shipped (they take 30-60 days to arrive). They are shipped two to a soft shipping pouch and have had 2 that were cracked a bit but repairable (clear Gorilla glue... NOT the Gorilla Super Glue) and one that was crushed (refund requested). Yes, the frames in the single mini are smaller than the frames in the double mini. It is probably too late for you to receive them and still use them this year, but buy now to be ready for next year.IMG_7067.jpg
    BeeHiveGuy,

Thank you for sharing! Gosh, could you please elaborate more on why you did not like the double mini mating nucs? [I was planning on ordering another 20-30 of them this week]!

We haven't even tried the Mann Lake double mini mating nucs yet, but hope to populate 5 of them next Wednesday.

Grafted over 100 new queen cells last night and was thinking of starting 20-30 of those double mini nucs too.

Please be more specific on your comment, "fighting the other side."

Also, I could not find the mini mating nucs on Ali Express's website. Could you send me a link please?

Thank you!

The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12