Undercoat with primer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Undercoat with primer?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthAussieBeekeeper View Post
    Should I use a waterbased, or oil based primer?
    I make no claims of being a paint expert. I've been told oil based primer is better on older weathered wood but we've repainted thousands of old boxes, prepping with a power washer, and water base paints have held up very well. I also prefer latex because of the convenience of overcoating so quickly. Also we are often painting inside in the winter and oil fumes in a closed area can get pretty nasty though we always use a respirator with a paint sprayer.
    Last edited by jim lyon; 09-01-2018 at 05:30 AM.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I was at Fleet Farm last night getting some glue to build some deep boxes and as I wandered by the paint aisle, I asked what they do with their mistint paints. He pointed to a small table which had two gallons of exterior Acrylic Latex all-in-one primer and paint. He said they have changed brands and all the old stuff was on clearance. There were several gallons of untinted stuff on the shelf for $7.73/gal. The sticker said the original price was something like $39. He even said tinting was built into the price so I bought 6 gallons and had him tint it. He didn't know how to work the tinting computer and instead of getting 2 gallons each of light yellow, orange, and turquois, I ended up with 4 gallons of light yellow and 2 of turquois. The bees won't mind. They rang up at $6.99 each but our liberal state now adds a .99/gal tax on all paint for some ridiculous environmental fee.

I’ve never understood the logic of using $30+ per gallon self priming paints for a base coat when dedicated primers can be purchased for half the price. BTW, I’ve used some gloss paints in the past and they look great and clean up nicely but have an 80 pound box of honey slip out of your hands once and you will fall out of love with a slick finish pretty quickly.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'm already done with self priming paints. I'll stick with a good primer and a good topcoat.

I always use oil based primer and most of the time even add a little more oil for my first coat. Like self priming paints, I've stopped using latex primer except for indoors. I topcoat with latex over the oil primer and a quality latex lasts a good long time. Perhaps not as long as oil but it's nearly impossible to get an oil topcoat paint nowadays.

Finally, the "oops" paints at the stores are usually quite good....just the wrong color was created. So for me, it's easier to buy a good oil based primer and then top it off with an "oops" bargain and you end with with a nice, finished hive. I have some ugly green ones, some gray ones...a bunch of red deeps that I use to put over feeding pails (which by the way make it real easy to see from a distance what colonies are being fed) and nucs of multiple colors.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

You can buy primers that will prime over oil base or water based paints (if you're repainting). Personally I love the way oil base paints go on but really dislike the clean up. I use latex on all my boxes. Self priming paints I very much dislike. Nothing beats an undercoat of primer. Just look into it and use what best suits yourself. Kilz is a good primer, Zinnser is a good primer. Just get them primed and painted. Two topcoats last a good while.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

would someone(s) elaborate on the issue with self-priming paint?
    8 years, 8 hives

I don't manufacture, distribute or sell paint. But I use a lot of it and have a 210+ year old house. When self-priming paints came out I was hopeful that scientists had come up with a formula that somehow allowed primer to settle into the surface of what I was painting, leaving the actual paint to sit on top. This would allow the first coat to seal and paint and I could decide to put a second coat on if I wanted to.

Wrong.

It turned out to be thick paint. There's really no true primer in it at all. It builds higher and faster so if you're trying to hide a color it does a pretty good job. Actually, a nice job from my experience. But if you're looking to seal, block, prep, etc. then it's not the right choice. Since most (but not all) of my painting is on new wood or newly exposed OLD wood, I need a primer to do all the other stuff. Inside the house, I've used the new stuff to adequately (but not wonderfully) cover walls that had been painted red and that I wanted cream colored. Worked pretty good although in the light some might say there's a shade of pink. One coat. Thick and sloppy and I was only happy with the time savings. Nothing else. Outside it peels, the oils and stains come through and old, old cut nails bleed rust right through to the surface in a single season. It's difficult to work with and....well...it has no oil and to me, that's a huge loss.

It's not for everyone and it's not for me but some folks love it and for them I'm glad it's available. Just my thoughts....
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Same. It works like a thick top coat and it peels if you don't prep with primer. I mean inside, why not. I used it exterior and was sadly disappointed in it.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Turns out that the paint that I have a big tin of is acrylic paint... I believe it's water based and from what I've gathered, that means a water based primer would be best for me.

It's been suggested to me to use two coats of primer, the first one to dilute with some water, the idea behind this is it'll allow the primer to soak in deeper into the wood. Do you guys think this is a good, or bad idea?

Bad.
    If a primer doesn't have the strength to bond to surface fibers, thinning it to make it penetrate won't add strength.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12