What's the longest delay for queen mating you might see due to weather

Question What's the longest delay for queen mating you might see due to weather

Hello, all,

I believe per queen math (queenless hive given a comb with eggs on June 30th), today would be the latest I might expect to see a laying queen, under normal circumstances.

How much longer should I wait given that the weather has been quite lousy for the past week and was also quite lousy when the queen first emerged.

thanks,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What's the longest delay for queen mating you might see due to weather

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Hello, all,

I believe per queen math (queenless hive given a comb with eggs on June 30th), today would be the latest I might expect to see a laying queen, under normal circumstances.

How much longer should I wait given that the weather has been quite lousy for the past week and was also quite lousy when the queen first emerged.

thanks,
    Thomas
    I wouldn't wait more than 3 weeks after emergence.

Default Re: What's the longest delay for queen mating you might see due to weather

I always give them 31 days before I call it a failure. According to an article by Michael Bush, an emerged virgin has 21 days to mate or she will become a drone layer.

After a queen mates, she may take a couple of days before she begins to lay eggs, and then you may not see her first patch of eggs due to the nurse bees on the comb. At 31 days from queen emergence, the first eggs will be good sized larvae that you can spot quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    I always give them 31 days before I call it a failure. According to an article by Michael Bush, an emerged virgin has 21 days to mate or she will become a drone layer.

After a queen mates, she may take a couple of days before she begins to lay eggs, and then you may not see her first patch of eggs due to the nurse bees on the comb. At 31 days from queen emergence, the first eggs will be good sized larvae that you can spot quite easily.
    31 days is way too long... if it's a failure you are likely to have laying workers.

Mine; 35 days from split, which may be PDC to 31 from starting cell if they took a last egg.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

So queen emergence on the 18th of July at the latest. That makes this day 16 after emergence. So keep waiting until the August 17???

My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Peal View Post
    31 days is way too long... if it's a failure you are likely to have laying workers.
    I can fix laying workers in my queen castles when caught in the early stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    So queen emergence on the 18th of July at the latest. That makes this day 16 after emergence. So keep waiting until the August 17???
    Have you see the queen in that box? No need to wait if she is nowhere to be found. Lots of mine get eaten by dragonflies and birds this time of year, but we've had torrential rain for 3 weeks now so very few chances for long mating flights.

Add a frame of open brood and see what the bees do with it while you wait for some eggs to show up. That will stave off laying workers and give her a bit more time. (and it doesn't have to be a full frame of eggs/larvae, just a patch)

Can't say that I saw the queen, but then I have seldom seen any queens, even when they are busy proving their existence.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Have you see the queen in that box? No need to wait if she is nowhere to be found. Lots of mine get eaten by dragonflies and birds this time of year, but we've had torrential rain for 3 weeks now so very few chances for long mating flights.

Add a frame of open brood and see what the bees do with it while you wait for some eggs to show up. That will stave off laying workers and give her a bit more time. (and it doesn't have to be a full frame of eggs/larvae, just a patch)

I check at day 7 post mating (i do ii at day 6-7, so i check at 14 days). Most are laying by then, the longest delay ive had was 3 weeks post mating to lay. I should have pinched her but got busy, and now she is doing quite good.

Won't sell her because I suspect something is wrong, won't use her for drone production or queen production because I dont want to pass on "late laying" genes, but she has a nice pattern, and nice hive now at 60+ days laying. Will see how she pulls winter.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

For the calendar impaired; That would be about 21 days from a split equivalent plus the extra 2 weeks?
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.