Honey help

Thread: Honey help

Default Honey help

So early this spring I processed honey for he first time. It was from an overwintered hive that did not make it. The honey tasted quite good. I did about 4 1/2 gallons. The honey I have stored now has some water on top of the honey and the honey is quite thick somewhat crystallized. I assume it’s because some of the what I harvested there was uncapped cells along with my capped cells. My question is it safe to eat? Can I just pour out the water or just mix it in. I hope I don’t have to dump all this honey.
    I have a pic that I will try to upload but I’m using my phone.
    Any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Anyone?

Default Re: Honey help

Me, I’d dump the water. Put it in your hot attic to warm and remove crystals. Then have your wife taste it. SB fine.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

It is not necessarily "water" on top.
    Give it time and it all will crystallize.
    This is how it normally works - crystallization always begins at the bottom (maybe the crystals just sink due to density diffs, what not).

Well, ok, pour the top off and just use it first.
    I'd eat it and have no second thoughts.
    IF it tastes fermented to your liking, dilute with water and feed to the bees.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

The "water" is just a result of the crystallization process where the sugars come out of solution and turn solid leaving behind liquid with a higher water content. If it sits too long like that, the watery section may start to ferment. You'll know it immediately by smell. It still won't hurt you, but it will change the flavor.

I would just liquefy it by loosening the lid and setting the whole jar in hot water till it turns liquid again - stirring several times during the process. When all the solids have returned to solution, the honey will be good as new.

What GaSteve said..... note sit in hot water and turn heat off.... do not boil or get too hot in water
    sc-bee