Another is this my Queen

Default Another is this my Queen

Must be the day for "is this a queen" topic.... quick background:

2 hives swarmed in June, I took frames from both with queen cells and made a split. So 3 hives now, 1st raised a queen and brood pattern looks good now, 2nd has drone brood, multiple queen cells, almost honey bound again, 3rd is like 2nd but no queen cells, but no sign of queen either, no brood.

So I order 2 queens for hive 2 and 3. Took photos of all frames during Saturday inspection, this morning while reviewing photos enlarged, look what I see, is this her in hive 3? It is isn't it.

Think Ill still requeen hive 2, and now maybe make another split so not to waste the mailorder bride...

Photos are of her and the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Another is this my Queen

are you talking about bottom right corner? looks partially covered up, don't see a queen there

I was thinking right in the center, but now, thinking clearer, that bee is about the same size as the others, and there is no clear shiny "shell" on its back... so I guess not.

Don't see a queen but you should do the bee math or check your dates. The picture has capped worker brood so if it was taken on Sat you had a queen in there within 21 days of that. That would mean that she was successfully mated after the split. Where she is should not be the first question. Do you see single eggs in the bottom of open cells? If so she was there within the last three days and all should be well. Poor pattern is not always caused by poor queen. The bees kept bringing in resources and stored a lot while they had no larvae to feed so there may not be large open areas for her to lay solid, also population went down so there are less nurse bees to tend larvae. They will balance what they can care for.
    The other hive sounds like laying worker.
    If so they will not accept the new queen.

Thanks John, I need to look at my log book again, your right.

Would a laying worker hive still create queen cells? One of my photos is of one queen cell where I can actually see the larva inside when the attending bee moved its head out of it...

Sometimes they will try with a larvae, since it is all they have. Depends where they are in the laying worker progression. If you are seeing drone brood in worker cells you have an issue, either laying workers or poorly mated queen.

Mike
    In photo #1 there is open brood next to the caped brood, top right.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Just a quick update on this, I re-queened both hives, they both have frames with lots of capped brood now, and I saw the red queen in one of them. Hives are back to normal.