Ebay extractors under $200?

Default Ebay extractors under $200?

Looking for parts for my extractor I found ebay has electric ones for under $200. The PNW is a low honey yield area (compared to Wisconsin) and I only run 15 production hives. I traditionally extract twice a year and I am setting at just over 300 lbs.
    How can they make it for less than a hand crank model and could I get it to last me for 10 years?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ebay extractors under $200?

I bought a cheep one off Amazon and sent it back after using it one time. It was hand crank and was not worth the money in my opinion. I know some people on here think they are worth it but it was not for me. They can make it so cheep because they use cheep materials and cheep labor to make it. It probably would have lasted 10 years but there were poor design features that I was not willing to live with.

I ended up buying a Maxant and I am really pleased with it. I plan to have it for a long time.

I would have loved to buy a Maxant but budget and reality come first. with just a couple of hive I went with the cheap import and it does the job. nothing fancy but it works.

With 15 hives, even at only around 300lbs of honey, I wouldn't be without my maxant 3100 electric. When you buy quality you only cry once. Buy a cheap one and you cry evey time you use it. Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by gatsby174 View Post
    I wouldn't be without my maxant 3100 electric.
    So $400 for the extractor and $400 for the power kit. how can somebody build it for under $300?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

When you buy quality you only cry once. Buy a cheap one and you cry evey time you use it. Just my $.02
    in less your like me and its drying on the end of the driveway and the wife backs over it.......
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

If at all possible, I'd borrow or rent one for a few years until you can afford a good one. I've seen a couple of the cheap ones selling under 200, and they are cheaply. Metal ones sound as thing as a pop can and the handle is cheap cast metal (very easy to break). They also tend to be tangental instead of radial. You get what you pay for.

Good thing with the maxant is that it doesn't cost more for the motor if you buy it later, so you can at least buy it over a couple years if necessary. Keep an eye out for used extractors, they go fast whenever they do come up.