Transferred frames to top bar, not sure how to feed honey back to bees
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Question Transferred frames to top bar, not sure how to feed honey back to bees

    Hello,

    I'm new to beekeeping and started this year with a Top Bar Hive. I bought a nuc and successfully transferred the bees and queen to my hive. They are happily drawing comb on my bars, laying eggs and storing honey. I have 3 frames of honey from the nuc I would like to feed back to the bees but I'm not sure of the best way.

    I don't want to just leave it outside and cause robbing so I was thinking of putting the frames back into the nuc box, setting the box up off the ground and letting the bees take the honey back as fast as they can.

    I would like to hear input from some of you guys on the best way to go about this.

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,467

    Default Re: Transferred frames to top bar, not sure how to feed honey back to bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    Hello,

    I'm new to beekeeping and started this year with a Top Bar Hive. I bought a nuc and successfully transferred the bees and queen to my hive. They are happily drawing comb on my bars, laying eggs and storing honey. I have 3 frames of honey from the nuc I would like to feed back to the bees but I'm not sure of the best way.

    I don't want to just leave it outside and cause robbing so I was thinking of putting the frames back into the nuc box, setting the box up off the ground and letting the bees take the honey back as fast as they can.

    I would like to hear input from some of you guys on the best way to go about this.

    Thanks
    Well, your TBH should be at least 4 feet long.
    Dump all the honey mess inside the hive at the far end.
    Best - use some tray(s) or dishes or the like - so nothing is dripping out of the hive.

    It is best to have a follower board to restrict the active portion of the hive from the unused portion.
    This will let your bees know where the nest area is ending; anything outside of the follower board - is outside of the nest.

    You bees will go to the far end of the box and just get all the honey and carry it into the active hive portion.
    Really, a trivial project.

    NOTE: your TBH must be tight so no way for any robbers to get to the honey via any side cracks and such.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

  4. #3

    Default Re: Transferred frames to top bar, not sure how to feed honey back to bees

    Thanks for the reply. I considered what you suggested but I was concerned bees may drown in the pools of honey. I guess they won't?

    I currently have a feeder built into my follower board. Should I remove the feeder portion and allow the bees to go through the small notch to get the honey in the non-active portion and bring it back to the active portion of the hive? They won't start building comb in the non-active portion of the hive?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,467

    Default Re: Transferred frames to top bar, not sure how to feed honey back to bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I considered what you suggested but I was concerned bees may drown in the pools of honey. I guess they won't?

    I currently have a feeder built into my follower board. Should I remove the feeder portion and allow the bees to go through the small notch to get the honey in the non-active portion and bring it back to the active portion of the hive? They won't start building comb in the non-active portion of the hive?
    OK.
    1) you do not create a pool of honey as bees can not walk on the pool of honey but rather drown in it; you place all the messed up combs into the dishes as-is so that bees have something to walk on; if you honey is already separated - then dump all the wax back and let them clean it out; an alternative (if wax has been melted, for example) just toss in there some sticks or even grass so bees will not drown - the most sticks the merrier;

    2) that "follower board" you have should be letting the bees go around it anyway; if not already - let them do so in some fashion; if and when you see bees trying to build something outside of the "follower board" - then just move the board some; insert new 1-2 new bars inside, and let them build inside; the "follower boards" have been discussed on BS - search.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Koeru, Järvamaa, Estonia
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Transferred frames to top bar, not sure how to feed honey back to bees

    I was in the same exact situation few weeks ago. I got two colonies in single 12frame deep (estonian) boxes and ccop&cropped 6 frames on both occasions. All 12 were mostly full of nectar/pollen though, so the first time I did it, I put the remaining 6 bars into the back of the hive to be cleaned out. Luckily I went to check on them the day after. They had decided, that “ok, so this is where our honey storage is” and were happily drawing comb from the top bars down to the honey frames in whichever direction they pleased. They had not uncapped a single cell, it seemed.

    So I moved the frames to an empty hive to be robbed out - which they did.

    The second time I no longer had an empty hive to use, so I just left the frames in the original box and moved it about 30ft from my hives and left it in full sun. Took the 3 colonies 2 days to clean them out.
    EU Hardiness Zone 5-6

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,467

    Default Re: Transferred frames to top bar, not sure how to feed honey back to bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Thucar View Post
    I was in the same exact situation few weeks ago. I got two colonies in single 12frame deep (estonian) boxes and ccop&cropped 6 frames on both occasions. All 12 were mostly full of nectar/pollen though, so the first time I did it, I put the remaining 6 bars into the back of the hive to be cleaned out. Luckily I went to check on them the day after. They had decided, that “ok, so this is where our honey storage is” and were happily drawing comb from the top bars down to the honey frames in whichever direction they pleased. They had not uncapped a single cell, it seemed.

    So I moved the frames to an empty hive to be robbed out - which they did.

    The second time I no longer had an empty hive to use, so I just left the frames in the original box and moved it about 30ft from my hives and left it in full sun. Took the 3 colonies 2 days to clean them out.
    Well, you want the honey to be moved by the bees in such shape where they must move it.
    So, again - crush all combs into some tray; put into your hive as far from the nest as possible - they will clean it and relocate the honey.
    Or simply lay those combs flatly into the tray and criss-cross cut them up - all it is too it.
    Bees will move the honey where it needs be from the damaged combs.
    Best - just crush it and be done.

    In your case (12 frames source as it is) - the colony strength is the hive is high enough to consider frames hanging far away to still be the part of the nest.
    I mean, you put 12 source frames worth of bees onto 6 target bars - what do you expect?
    12 frames of incoming bees will have to have at least 12 bars so to get situated in the new hive.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •