6 Frame Nuc

Thread: 6 Frame Nuc

Default 6 Frame Nuc

Any reason not to build/use 6 frame nucs? I am going to stack 2 to overwinter and it seems like that might help.

I use 4 frame nucs for splitting out frames with swarm cells.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 6 Frame Nuc

No reason why not other than equipment may not be readily available. But if you are building your own, you can do any size you want.

I should note that the styrofoam nucs by Superior Bee and Modern Beekeeping are 6 frame, so at least some 6 frame equipment is available. I've overwintered in them without any real issues. Since the styrofoam boxes are rather expensive, I've made 6 wooden frame supers compatable with them.

i made a few by accident. I was making 5 framers and mismeasured. So now i have 4 with top covers just for those that i use for splits. Only downside is number of frames if you are moving them into a nuc for sale. Otherwise not except that it sucks to have specific equipment just for certain boxes.
    Terrence

Thumbs Up Re: 6 Frame Nuc

Quote Originally Posted by tarheit View Post
    No reason why not other than equipment may not be readily available. But if you are building your own, you can do any size you want...
    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    ...except that it sucks to have specific equipment just for certain boxes.
    The bees will be fine in about any space you give them. The long term plan that uses the most consistent equipment sizes will be best all around. Eight frame equipment has been a good compromise for me. Of course, a five or six frame NUC is always useful for swarms or splits or queen mating. HTH
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

There are lots of advantages when it comes to palitized hives and stacking 2 10 frame supers on 3 6 frame nucs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MtaQpd...ature=youtu.be

http://www.lewisandsons.ca/components/

Quote Originally Posted by Molloyjp View Post
    Any reason not to build/use 6 frame nucs? I am going to stack 2 to overwinter and it seems like that might help.

I use 4 frame nucs for splitting out frames with swarm cells.
    As you already have 4-frame nucs, then I'd recommend sticking with that one size of box, stacking them higher if you should need a larger hive volume, with these taller stacks placed side-by-side in pairs for overwintering. This method of operating is well-proven, and is preferable (imo) to having intermediate sizes of boxes in the apiary.

Another useful approach is to use larger (but still standard-sized) boxes, and dummy these down to whatever size is required. The volume of these can then very easily be expanded as necessary by simply removing the dummy frames, with minimum disturbance to the occupants.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I have side by side 6 frame medium nucs on a divided bottom board. Over excluders I can put a square dadant box on top. I like the stability of them (on their own they will not get blown over) compared to a 5 frame set up. And the wintering seems to be superior. With the extra space nucs aren't about to abscond or swarm as quickly.

I have added a 5th box to some of the first nucs I started in late May.

I thought about it and went with readily available 8 frame boxes so I can fit a 2 frame feeder and still have 6 frames.