Has anyone tired this on Small Hive beetles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone tired this on Small Hive beetles

I live in the Spring TX and we are A-- deep in SHB.

I found some serving trays that work well for bottom board oil traps but still have beetles.

Question- I had looked on the board but could not find a post of using a pop bottle yellow jacket type trap for the beetles. Notice that The Fat Beeman uses them for yellowjackets wonder if they would work for SHBs?

I understand that the beetles can smell a hive 10 miles away but if that is true then what if you made up some pop bottle traps with the usual mixture and set them under the stands if the beetles are coming to the hives anyway?

Would the old banana mixture draw them in as well as the hive?

Would it help or would it draw more beetles since I have a ton of them in the area anyway?

Anyone?

Thanks, Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Has anyone tired this on Small Hive beetles

I've put out YJ traps and never saw a hive beetle in them.

I have recently learned of a trick that uses a swiffer sheet. The sheet has little hooks that snags the shb's legs. I guess it has the potential to also snag a few honeybees but not nearly as many as it does shb's. The sheets get cut down into small sizes and placed onto the tops of your frames in the corners. I guess a one week period will catch a ton. Change out and repeat. Really cool trick.

Quite some time ago I read that it’s not the smell of the hive, it’s the pheromones from the beetles that leads to an infestation. There’s something they can’t reproduce artificially and can’t produce a trap for them. I’m sure someone, somewhere is working on it, but it’s probably a profit lead R&D and everybody knows how cheap beeks are.
    Rod

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...ew-Beetle-Trap

If you use a piece of slimed honey comb it works very well.

I have one out this year collecting beetles, it does attract beetles, but it won't prevent a weak hive from getting beetled.

These do work. Practical for backyard beekeepers but not so much for many hives over long distance. After a week the sheet is wadded up with trapped beetles. A few bees but not many.

I am using dryer sheets and havent looked at them real close yet, but did see a few beetles on them. I know the bees dont like the dryer sheets in the hive and will try to drag them out. I duct taped one to the bottom board but havent checked it yet.

Beetle blaster traps work pretty good. I put a little vinegar and cooking oil in them. I checked several of these traps yesterday and they had quite a few beetles in them.

The Beetle BeGone sheets work pretty well. Other, similar disposable pads work too. The trick is to put the sheets where the bees coral the beatles at the top of the brood nest or super. Some hives are bent on removing the sheets from the hive and some are not. Of course, a hobbyist has time to mash every beatle they see. The 'flat beatle' and pad methods work well for us. A strong hive can keep beatles under control, a weak hive will succumb. HTH
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

The SHB love my swimming pool that I put in for them.
    As I had said. I found a serving tray that would fit in side a 10 frame and for me a lot nicer than the self made tin boxes people use. Nice, clean and lot more sturdy than the made aluminum pans.

Even with the hives in a lot of sun I have a lot of hive beetles. I need a cheap supply of mineral oil.

Just an interesting observation...

Any time I burn a beeswax candle outdoors, a few small hive beetle inevitably show up. Any way to make some sort of similar attractant in a trap?
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Interesting. I wonder if you put some wax in the trap instead of the interesting great smelling regular vinegar/banana mix if that would work. I know the down wind side of the old hive the bottom trap is where most of the beetles seem to try to swim.

Be interesting to try. I was thinking that a small piece of #8 mesh across the opening would save bees depending on the lure but I do not have a problem with yellow jackets at the moment either. Just tray deep in small black hive beetles.

I really need a Cheap place to buy bulk mineral oil for two bottom traps.

I will try two bottle traps tonight to see what happens. one with bee comb and some honey and the usual beetle lure with wire over both entrances.

I have tried about every style, method, and kind of SHB control and found them to be mediocre at best. For that past 3 weeks, I have been treating my hives for varroa mites with the Mitey Mite Killer heat plate and NOTHING I have every tried in my 12 years of beekeeping works as good as the Mitey Mite Killer. The heat plate kills about half of the SHB's inside the hive. The remainder are driven out of the hive to the plastic slide closer board below the screened bottom board or to area's outside the hive. When they try to re-enter the hive again, the guard bees trap them up against the insulation board that is placed on top of the queen excluder. You have to be fast with your hive tool to kill them all but in some hives, I am able to kill 50 or more on the insulation board when I remove it in many hives. It varies from hive to hive. Overall, I estimate that I have killed between 2500 -3000 hive beetles in the 60 hives I have treated.

With a couple of hives I can afford to do the screened bottom with the built in beetle swimming pool and spa bath.

With all that you tried did you happen to try putting a container with the beetle sauce in the middle of the oil bath to see if it would attract beetles down when they try to slip into the hive instead of going up into the hive? Another project that I thought about trying once the beetles slip into the hive.
    Last edited by JimD; 07-25-2018 at 11:35 AM.

I take an extra screened bottom board and lay it over a plastic tray filled with soapy water. When I come across a frame loaded with SHB's during an inspection I take the frame and smack it against the SBB. The beetles fall off and go through the screen then drown in the soapy water while any bees bounce off and fly away. Quick and easy way to kill them.
    I also use Beetle Blasters and oil or soapy water trays under the SBB's.

I used 2 beetle blasters in each colony between frame 2-3 and 7-8 at the back of the box. I also put a dryer sheet cut into 4 pieces. I place a strip of sheet on top of the frames and pinched between the boxes. Keeps the bees from removing them too quickly. I also do a ground drench of guardstar around the colonies to kill larvae. I will also use checkmite strips if the shb population is out of control.

I had some SHB in most hives last year and trouble with a few weak hives. I purchased Clark's Beetle Blocker shims (https://www.facebook.com/blockthebeetle/) this spring and used them on about half of my hives. I also have an oil trap in each hive. The difference between the hives with and without the shims is clear--these shims work. I have not gone to the trouble of taping all joints between boxes or screening the hole in the inner covers. Even without those steps, I have not seen a live SHB in a hive with a shim this year.

Note: I have not economic interest in or relationship with Clark's Beetle Blocker--other than being a very satisfied customer.

the best product for small hive beetles is the Beetle Buster developed in Australia and now manufactured in the USA i've tested it and it's a bottom board slick surface so that the beetles can not go up and enter the hive google beetle buster usa .com

Has anyone tried something like this?

Jim,
    If you still have beetles, watch my video at http://freemanbeetletrap.com/. While dusting my hives with powdered sugar to knock off Varroa mites, I discovered that it makes the bees mad and they chase the beetles into the oil tray. (I now use soapy water.) The video is 'Sugar Dusting for Hive Beetles'. I had a buddy that had to dust his hives 4 consecutive days to chase all the beetles out.

Gentle bees sometimes don't chase the beetles enough to keep them out. Hives with aggressive (mean!) bees don't seem to have this problem. If you can't get rid of the beetles, call me at 870-853-2412 and we'll figure it out.
    Jerry Freeman

I'm a big fan of nematodes. You can find them here https://www.bugsforgrowers.com/produ...abditis-indica It is expensive because you have to overnight the bugs. I use them in my garden with good success also. If you have a really bad infestation mix up gardstar in a watering can and drench the ground underneath and around the hive being careful not to splash (it is toxic to bee's). I had a bad infestation last year and did gardstar and followed up with nematodes. This year I only have handful of beetles that are handles with the beetle traps/oil/vinegar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast