oxalic acid Question

Default oxalic acid Question

I was wondering I am going to do a oxalic acid vap this week and continues for the next couple weeks.

My splits and nucs have 2 brood boxes but are NOT built up that well yet should I still treat the hive with the amount called for 2 brood boxes or just treat it with enough for 1 brood box or somewhere in the middle??

And what is the amount per brood box?

Do I do the treatment every 7 days for 3 weeks? Every 5 days for 5 weeks what do some of you think/do? I hear different amounts.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: oxalic acid Question

2 brood boxes but not built up well? If those boxes are not both thriving and busy, you should condense it to one box.

Use the dosage for as many brood boxes. 1:1, 2:2. The OA needs to cover the frames in each box.

1 treatment per week for 3 weeks. Some treat every 5 days, but I don't think for 5 weeks. 3 should be sufficient.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    2 brood boxes but not built up well? If those boxes are not both thriving and busy, you should condense it to one box.

Use the dosage for as many brood boxes. 1:1, 2:2. The OA needs to cover the frames in each box.

1 treatment per week for 3 weeks. Some treat every 5 days, but I don't think for 5 weeks. 3 should be sufficient.
    Condense it for the treatment or what? The first box is built 100% and they are just starting to move into the 2nd box so if your suggesting to just remove one box then they will swarm so kinda confused by ur advice with combining unless ur talking for treatment only but even still really couldn’t combine.

These splits were done only 3weeks ago maybe a month so it’s still young.

What’s the amount of acid per box?

I have seen the rational that the three week period is ok but to ensure no gaps in coverage between treatments space them at 5 or 6 days apart rather than 7 and do extra applications so you cover the full time period or a bit longer.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I have seen the rational that the three week period is ok but to ensure no gaps in coverage between treatments space them at 5 or 6 days apart rather than 7 and do extra applications so you cover the full time period or a bit longer.

Ok so to answer my question with only 2 frames in the 2nd brood box built on should I treat for 2 boxes or just 1?

If you have two boxes then treat 2 boxes use 2 grams for two boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbigt View Post
    Condense it for the treatment or what? The first box is built 100% and they are just starting to move into the 2nd box so if your suggesting to just remove one box then they will swarm so kinda confused by ur advice with combining unless ur talking for treatment only but even still really couldn’t combine.

These splits were done only 3weeks ago maybe a month so it’s still young.

What’s the amount of acid per box?
    Ahh, you weren't clear about how they were built up. "but are NOT built up that well yet " I did not say 'combine'. I said 'condense'. I was assuming there are too few bees in too much space but, if they are building up into the 2nd box from a full 1st box, you're ok with 2.

Treat for as many boxes as the bees are using.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    Ahh, you weren't clear about how they were built up. "but are NOT built up that well yet " I did not say 'combine'. I said 'condense'. I was assuming there are too few bees in too much space but, if they are building up into the 2nd box from a full 1st box, you're ok with 2.

Treat for as many boxes as the bees are using.
    Well normally u don’t add a second box unless the 1st if full soooo. Either way thanks to everyone with “helpful” replies.

Man you have some attitude. Good luck getting advice in the future. J