pdf version of walt wright's manuscript
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pdf version of walt wright's manuscript

NectarManagement.pdf

walt's family has indicated their desire to make walt's original manuscript "NECTAR MANAGEMENT - Principles and Practices" available for free on the forum.

there are a number of walt's articles also available on the forum here:

https://beesource.com/point-of-view/walt-wright/
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: pdf version of walt wright's manuscript

tip: great pearl of wisdom in diagram on page 40.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Very cool. Thank you.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Oh, thank you SP, and my grateful thanks to Walt's family, too. I have been hoping to get my hands on a copy of the ms. for a long time!

An unexpected and wonderful gift!

Nancy

Thank you!

Having spent a few hours now with Walt's Nectar Management, I am struck again by how often you turn a corner in what can be sometimes dense passages and suddenly come upon an astute, completely novel observation about bees and the natural history within a bee colony.

Walt's writing style could definitely have benefited from some editing, but despite that, there are generous rewards to sticking with it nonetheless. I suspect that its one of those documents that subsequent re-readings reveal new insights unsuspected on the first time through. So if you think you've gotten all you can out of Walt's stuff in the Resource section, give this new manuscript a look, too.

Thanks, again, to Square Peg for working to get this widely available, and to Walt Wright's family for opening it up freely to all interested beekeepers.

Nancy

Thank you and Mr. Wright's family for making this available.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

I hope to eventually have the powers of observation that Mr. Wright demonstrated. I think I still have a lot to learn to be able to tell as much from a hive inspection as someone like Walt...and I hope I can then make the proper adjustments to my care of my colonies to have optimal outcomes for them and for me.

This is excellent. Thank you Wright family for your generosity in sharing this important work. J

it would have really warmed walt's heart to have seen these replies.

like nancy i had to read through the manuscript a few times for many of the concepts to sink in.

fortunately for me walt was more than willing and very generous with many hours on the phone to help me through it.

on his last visit down here he asked me if i would be willing to keep the conversation going on his behalf should the day come when he was no longer around to do so.

i told him i would be happy to do that but in a humble way let him know that it wasn't likely that anyone would be able to satisfactorily fill his shoes.

as those of you who have followed my thread know i ended up making some modifications to walt's manipulations that proved to be more effective with my hive configuration and bee stock.

when it comes to the observations regarding changes in colony operations through the seasons however most of what i am seeing is pretty much the same as walt describes.

understanding these changes from the colonies' perspective has perhaps been the single most helpful thing to me as a beekeeper.

if any of you have any questions about topics in the manuscript chances are i had the same questions too. ask them here if you would like and i'll try to answer them from walt's point of view as best as i can recollect.
    Last edited by squarepeg; 07-18-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo

Thank You!!!

Always enjoyed reading Walt's posts. He really loved beekeeping and helping others.

Wonderful! Thanks to you, Squarepeg, and please convey my gratitude to Walt's family.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

I'd like to add my thanks too - both to you and Walt's family. I'm looking forward to reading this.

I finally finished my first read through this morning. It is bookmarked as a favorite on my computer so that I might find it again. It is like all things bee keeping, a little above my head and will take more then one reading. The effort you went to squarepeg, was not wasted though, cause I am reading it and thankful that I can.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Squarepeg, I know you worked with Walt and have made a few changes to his techniques. Is there a place where we could find these differences grouped? I've read bits and pieces here and there and would love all of your observations and alterations as well.
    Thanks!
    Lee
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

if you look at my sticky thread in the treatment free section and skim through the posts from late february to about late april or so i have chronicled my (still evolving) checkerboarding modifications there.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    if you look at my sticky thread in the treatment free section and skim through the posts from late february to about late april or so i have chronicled my (still evolving) checkerboarding modifications there.
    Will do, thanks.

Walt Wright's insights into bee behavior are priceless. He is one of two beekeepers that have had the greatest influence on my own beekeeping philosophy.

I too, would like to add my own thanks to the Walt Wright family for sharing his manuscript.

Squarepeg:

Thank you for your help in working with Walt's family to make this great resource available to the beekeeping community at-large. Walt had a rare ability to both evaluate and discern the operational priorities that I expect few can. His family can certainly be proud of the contribution he has made to the science of beekeeping. Thank you again for facilitating the wider dissemination of his observations.

It saddens me to hear that Walt has died. When did it occur. I tried to contact him via this site and his cell phone months back but got no replies. I haven't been down to see him in at least 2 or 3 years. I always enjoyed our visits. He personally gave me a hard copy of his nectar mgmt at least 6 years ago. He was a really nice guy though cranky at times. He was very detailed in his work as he retired from NASA in Huntsville.

Live is just too fast. That is the excuse we all use. We all get caught up in our lives and don't take the time to visit. Heck, I live in TN and my kids live in SC. My son and his family came here for the first time for Thanksgiving 2 years ago. My daughter came in July and stayed for part of a Sat and Sun. Life gets so much faster as we get older and our children get caught up in their own lives and we get put so far back on the back burner that it doesn't even warm anymore.

I wish all the best to Walt's family and I will truly miss him.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast