POSCA pens will cause supercedure. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: POSCA pens will cause supercedure.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    OK, that does it!
    Will order POSCA and try it.

Hate yet another expense (being a cheapo), but hate not finding those darn queens even more.
    Might as well be proper and color code them bugs.
    just don't depress the tip. When this happens it can flood out but I have never had a reason to do it since the tip is always ready to go. There is no way you can depress the tip on a queen without damaging her anyway. Practice on a few drone first it is really quick once you do it a few times.

If you throw the queen right back in they will remove some of the paint. stick her in a cage for a few minutes and let it set up good.
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    just don't depress the tip. When this happens it can flood out but I have never had a reason to do it since the tip is always ready to go. There is no way you can depress the tip on a queen without damaging her anyway. Practice on a few drone first it is really quick once you do it a few times.

If you throw the queen right back in they will remove some of the paint. stick her in a cage for a few minutes and let it set up good.
    Got it!
    Thanks TB.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by texanbelchers View Post
    Buy the pack of 5 colors. They don't seem to dry out.
    After a long deliberation (wasted 30 minutes of my valuable sleep time) - I only ordered a single red.
    It comes with that nifty push-in cage thingy - I mean to use it.
    I figure I will give it a try and if hate it, the loss will be minimized.
    If I love it, the next year I will order the pack of 5.

OK, this weekend will be fun! (or not).
    Never marked the queens in my life.
    This will be the first, if I find the darn things - bee yard I will be doing it comes from somewhat defensive line and they don't really care for me.

PS: located the queen in one of my 2018 caught swarms - turns out she has red paint splatted all over her body, even the wings (someone really botched the paint job ......hahaha).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Since posting, I started to wonder "is it me ?", and so I 'did a Google' for "POSCA pens & flooding". Seems that what I've been beefing about is a fairly common complaint - not just with POSCA pens - but with all paint-pens which use this type of delivery system. [snip]
    In fairness LJ that's a slightly loaded query!

POSCA pens and flooding = ~62,000 pages returned
    POSCA pens and success = ~145,000 pages returned

I've used these for years with no significant 'blobbing' and no supercedure. Most of my hive roofs have little blue or white dots on them where I've checked the pen is delivering the paint properly before marking. Being colourblind (red/green) I only need buy two colours The blue one has recently packed up after about 5 years use.
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    After a long deliberation (wasted 30 minutes of my valuable sleep time) - I only ordered a single red.
    It comes with that nifty push-in cage thingy - I mean to use it.
    I figure I will give it a try and if hate it, the loss will be minimized.
    If I love it, the next year I will order the pack of 5.

OK, this weekend will be fun! (or not).
    Never marked the queens in my life.
    This will be the first, if I find the darn things - bee yard I will be doing it comes from somewhat defensive line and they don't really care for me.

PS: located the queen in one of my 2018 caught swarms - turns out she has red paint splatted all over her body, even the wings (someone really botched the paint job ......hahaha).
    Sounds like one of my first marked Queens caught a pretty good tail wind to make it that far North.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    In fairness LJ that's a slightly loaded query!
    I just entered the terms for what I was looking for - this wasn't some kind of balanced scientific analysis, just looking for confirmation (or not) of whether I had a duff pen. I wasn't aiming to prove or disprove anything. I then saw that others (especially many Amazon customers) had voiced the same criticism as myself, which I found reassuring. It appears that the paint-pen mechanism suits some folks - many folks - but not everyone, that's all I'm saying. I much prefer paint I can dip into - like coloured nail varnish. Here's an example:

A poor photo, but not a lot wrong with that marking. I've received queens in the mail from so-called professionals with paint daubed all over their wings. Dunno what paint those guys used. Dulux ?
    'best,
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Of course I did .... Would anyone be daft enough to NOT test 'em out first ?

That pen never did work properly -

LJ
    Never had one work for me ether, and I tried more than one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Mw_HqUVfk
    posca pen in use 5 years old. sorry the quality isn't the best
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    ..........I only need buy two colours The blue one has recently packed up after about 5 years use.
    Thinking about this one.
    It is entirely valid to use a binary approach for own use.
    This way keep track of "this year" marks and the "last year" marks.
    I like this "white and blue" way; it should cover most cases and still help in Q finding.

Try the oil based sharpies they work better than posca and are much brighter! Seem to stay on queeens and last.

OK.
    Gave the red POSCA try today.
    Fingers crossed for not losing any shiny new queens to the paint.
    And this gizmo really works.
    Like.
    20180728_162307.jpg
    20180728_170111.jpg

Just piling on. I tried multiple pens and POSCA is hands-down the best. I used multiple colors (therefore multiple pens) and did NOT see any signs of supercedure. I charge my pen (push the tip in to load some fresh paint) on the side of a box or on the stand. Then I make a few marks to get rid of excess paint before 'dotting' the queen (WITHOUT depressing the tip). They work like a charm. I don't have much trouble with the bees cleaning off the paint if I hold onto the queen for a few minutes to get some initial drying. I may have seen 1 or 2 this year where half the paint was gone, otherwise no problem. I don't use the standard marking colors because NOBODY keeps a queen 5 years. I use colors that indicate where the genetics might have come from (Blue was Nucs from TX, White was queens from California, Yellow was Nucs from Kansas City, etc... and Orange for what I call 'bastard queens' that are of an unknown origin). I make sure that I get the light blue versus blue marker because it stands out better. Get the 3mm pen, not the 5mm or 1mm (the 5mm will work, if you wind up with one). There is a -3 or -03 (can't remember) in the part number. I got lucky and found a larger set (like 12 or 15) where there were enough usable colors to make it cheaper to buy the pack and not use all the markers. When I mark a queen, I write the date in the same color on my lid. If I mark a queen in white, I use black to mark the hive (white markers on white hives doesn't work well and black markers on queens doesn't work well). I keep the markers with darker colors that I don't think work. I keep them in my bee bag and use them to write notes on the hives or my bricks.

As this thread has just been revived ... an update:

during the last week I've been going around the apiary with my pot of blue nail-varnish, marking non-breeding queens (resident with their own bees) - queens which wouldn't normally get marked. Each one was checked 24 hrs later, with zero problems. Will be marking the last batch of new queens (in mating nucs stocked with mixed bees) in the same way - in a week or so. That's assuming they've been mated of course, which is beginning to look a little doubtful right now, as the weather has seriously deteriorated.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12