POSCA pens will cause supercedure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default POSCA pens will cause supercedure.

Looking at a comment on Amazon site:

https://www.amazon.com/posca-YELLOW-...ustomerReviews

I also watched a recent video that claims the same thing - POSCA pen markings resulted in supercedures.

Anyone has related experience?
    I want to buy this pen.
    Now feel unsure.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: POSCA pens will cause supercedure.

I haven't had queens superceded at any remarkable rate with my use of Tosca paint markers over the past 3 years. Dab only the bald spot on the thorax, of course.

This was my first year to mark Queens. All of the Queens I marked are still in the hives. They were marked in Mar/April., even the ones that got marked real good and are easy to find.

I bought the pen from MannLake.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I have found that it is rough handling when catching and holding for clipping or marking that causes supersedure in new queens. The mark, or clipping of the wings, seem to have no effect if done without roughing up the queen.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Agreed AR.

I'm pretty sure that's why I made such a mess out of a couple of them. I was too afraid of hurting them to hold them tight enough to keep them still.

I must have marked 200 Drones before attempting a Queen and still my hand was shaking so bad I had paint on my finger and thumb.

Alex

I once bought a POSCA pen - never again. The tip was either bone dry, or the paint came flooding out - there was never a happy medium. Ended up in the bin. Maybe it was faulty ? But - they don't get a second chance.

I now use either cellulose vehicle touch-up paint - the sort that comes in a small tube with a brush, or nail varnish. In both cases I use a pointed barbecue skewer, touch the point onto the paint brush to get the smallest dab on the tip, and then 'draw' that paint in the smallest possible circle onto the thorax. Leave until dry before reintroducing the queen.

I don't mark them all - only those I need to keep track of.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I have used Posca marking pens for five years and can't recall a supercedure that seemed connected to the use. In the case of the supercedures that I have had generally it seems to be when the Posca-marked queens are in their third seasoned, having been marked in their first season. So I doubt the Posca pen had anything to do it.

I had one really old gal who was marked by my mentor (with a Posca pen) in July of 2014 just get superceded last month.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    I once bought a POSCA pen - never again. The tip was either bone dry, or the paint came flooding out - there was never a happy medium. Ended up in the bin. Maybe it was faulty ? But - they don't get a second chance.
    I would hope you would test them out on something before you started marking the queens. That way you are sure it is working properly.

I have used these for the last 2 years with no issues at all. The only supercedures I have had were swarm queens I caught and marked. They superceded about 60 days later so I doubt it was the marker that caused it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I would hope you would test them out on something before you started marking the queens. That way you are sure it is working properly.
    Of course I did .... Would anyone be daft enough to NOT test 'em out first ?

That pen never did work properly - so it never came anywhere near a queen. To be honest, I don't really see how they're supposed to work - they have some kind of fibre tip which, if you depress it - the paint then comes rushing out in a bl##dy great blob. But if you don't depress the tip, then there's no way for the paint to find it's way onto the fibre tip. The one I had was white, so I tried using it to mark dark-coloured plastic - exactly the same story: bone dry or a large paint blob. So it went straight in the bin - useless.

There must be countless thousands of these pens in use, and it appears everybody else seems happy enough with 'em - but I'll never buy another one - I need to use stuff which is predictable and which I can rely on.
    LJ

I pressed the tip of the pen onto the tops of the wooden hive stands to load the paint onto the tip, then I dobbed the tip on the stand a couple of times to get rid of the excess.

The thing I like about it is I am so clumsy if I had an open jar of testors paint I'm sure it would end up spilled.

Alex

I want a blob to come out; onto the side of a hive tool or some handy surface and then I dip the end of a grass or hay stem into the blob and transfer and spread the small bit onto the queen. Usually I am marking through the grid of a queen catcher cylinder. No way should you use the felt tip directly - Too unpredictable.
    Frank

I think I'll try that next year.

Thanks,
    Alex

I want the tip fairly well covered in paint. Then I dab off the excess and then lightly touch the queen with the pen to mark her. If you are pushing too hard, the tip retracts into the pen's body and more paint comes out. You only need to lightly touch the queen to get the paint on her. I do not use the tip, I go slightly to the side of the pen.

However, you may have gotten a bad one too!

we marked hundreds with posca pens this year.
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

did I mention we used this same pen in 2013 also to mark queens. They work great.
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

OK, that does it!
    Will order POSCA and try it.

Hate yet another expense (being a cheapo), but hate not finding those darn queens even more.
    Might as well be proper and color code them bugs.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Buy the pack of 5 colors. They don't seem to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    However, you may have gotten a bad one too!
    Since posting, I started to wonder "is it me ?", and so I 'did a Google' for "POSCA pens & flooding". Seems that what I've been beefing about is a fairly common complaint - not just with POSCA pens - but with all paint-pens which use this type of delivery system. i.e. the need to depress the tip in order to allow paint out onto it - and the finer the tip, the less able it is to 'soak-up' the amount of paint which emerges - hence the bigger the blob. Also there have been warnings about using these pens in the sun, where heat can cause a small build-up of pressure inside the pen, which then causes an even bigger blob.

So - it appears that they're great if you like working like this, with POSCA apparently being the best make of these type of pens - but this style of working is just not for me - I'm 'old school' and much prefer my paint in containers from where I can access it 'a little at a time' in a far more predictable way.
    LJ

My biggest problem with the POSCA pens is that the bees remove the paint...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast