Banking mated queens

Default Banking mated queens

Thanks to a spontaneous, ambitious purchase, I have 7 mated queens coming tomorrow and do not have mating nucs ready yet. I need to bank them for 2-3 days. I also lack any banking equipment. All I have are the JZBZ cages they are coming in, and a fair amount of #8 hardware cloth. So what are my options?

Can I just hang multiple JZBZ cages in between frames of the same hive?

Could I create 7 push in cages and put them on several frames of the same hive?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Banking mated queens

With just 7 keep them in the house in a dark area at room temperature and give then a drop of water every day they will be just fine no need to bank them. First best to bank them if you were to in a queenless hive. A wire cage will end up in disaster for banking the bees will dig the comb out to release the queens and disaster will be certain. Some people will bank in a queenright hive above an excluder but I've seen that turn into a disaster also. Your safest bet is keep them in the house for only for just 2 or 3 days much less work. You can actually keep them in the house for a week with no problem. If the JZBZs come without candy give them a drop of 2:1 sugar syrup for feed.

I agree with Slow Drone. If you only need to keep them a week or so, one drop of water a day in a dark quiet place they will do fine. If you want to go a little longer, a cigar box with a piece cut out and screened for air and a small sponge with syrup and a couple of dozen workers will do fine. If you want to set up a queen bank, you could, but that's a lot of extra work if you don't need to keep them long. Setup a queenless nuc with frames of brood and honey from more than one hive. Let them set about two hours and then put the queens in. You can make a frame to hold the queens, or make a shim to make room on top for the queens.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

So I picked up the queens today. They are in a square vented "live bee" shipping container. 20 queens in seperate hair roller cages. No attendants inside the roller cages, but a large amount of bees shaken into the shipping box. He put a water sponge in the box and some honey comb.

Question: Do the queens need to be in contact with the water/honey or will the attendants roaming the box go get the goods and bring it to her? Do I Just need to keep the sponge wet and add some honey daily?

You guys said to add a dab of water daily... And i just want to make sure the water goes into the sponge and not inside the hair roller cages somehow

Also... Should I tell my wife there is a box of queens/attendants in her pantry room, next to the peanut butter and cans of soup?

If I tell her, she may make me move them outside. If I don't tell her, she may get surprised and knock down the box.

Signed,
    Concerned about my marriage, but mostly concerned about my queens, in Maryland

The attendants will feed the queens. That's the point of attendants. I don't give advice on wives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by CBQueens View Post
    .....They are in a square vented "live bee" shipping container. 20 queens in seperate hair roller cages. No attendants inside the roller cages, but a large amount of bees shaken into the shipping box. He put a water sponge in the box and some honey comb.
    Then, really, you do nothing. The seller took care of it all.

Wife-thing: I educated my family when got my queens last year; showed them the stuff and that was that; people and kids are usually quite reasonable.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Agree 100% with Michael Bush!!!
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.