Ohio Bee Box Company - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Ohio Bee Box Company

following this thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Before this thread gets much further along, I think it only right to post my experience with Corey.

I ordered 65 migratory nucleus colony covers and 25 ten frame telescoping covers from Corey at Ohio Bee Box Company back in September I believe. All were wax dipped. Corey got them all made up in short order. He even texted me pictures of them right before he sent them. Worked up a great price for me. They arrived quickly but not all in great shape (thank a LOT FEDEX!) FEDEX was brutal on the boxes but the telescoping covers made it without a scratch but some of the migratory nuc covers were broken. I was busy with a several other things on the farm and did not get around to opening all of the boxes to check for damage for several weeks to get pictures to Corey of the broken covers. I did stay in contact with Corey about this via texting him. He understood and is replacing the covers.

My impression thus far is that Corey is doing what he can to update and improve his business that he has not that long ago purchased from the original owner. He has indicated to me that he will be changing over from the paraffin/gum rosin mix to paraffin/micro-cyrstalline wax mix. I believe he is moving his wax dipping tank inside or at least under cover for now with plans to enclose where it is so he can wax dip during cold weather.

Would I order from Corey again? You bet I would.

I have compared the quality and workmanship of the woodware I purchased from Corey to that which I buy locally and Corey's woodware is FAR superior in both........not that I am disrespecting the local guy, he does nice work too but does not have the ability to make beekeeping woodware the way Corey does but he is much cheaper and uses cypress wood & does not wax dip.

My suggestion to anyone here that has doubts about Corey & Ohio Bee Box Company is to try to keep an objective and open mind and by ALL means contact him about any problems or issues/question you may have. I do, and Corey usually texts me back in a few days at most and usually a few hours or less.

I have recommended other beekeepers I know such as Steve McCoy, owner of Easy-On Beehive Covers to Corey and Steve as far as I know is very satisfied.

There are NOT that many beekeeping wood products makers who DO wax dip and I think we should, when and where we can support them. If there is a problem, by all means make Corey aware of it and give him the opportunity to make it right. I texted Corey yesterday about this thread to which he responded quickly. I exchanged texts with him again this morning. In my opinion, he is trying to make things right. At least in my case he is.

It is NOT my place to speak for Corey, however, I CAN attest to the buying and customer experience I personally had with him & Ohio Bee Box Company which has been and still is a positive experience.

wow was just going to place a 300 order will hold off

I've been buying equipment from Ohio Bee Box for several years. I ordered some more hives from them this year knowing it would be kind of a test to see how they did under new ownership. After placing the order I ended up emailing them to add a couple more items...they were helpful and friendly and the items were added to my original order. So, as it stands today, Ohio Bee Box remains my go-to woodenware supplier. The prices are good, the fact that I don't have to spend so much time assembling boxes is fantastic, the option to use wax coating is nice, and the quality of the boxes is at least on par with other suppliers I've used (some big ones, and some local ones).

I only have two minor gripes. First, the inner covers don't have the hole in the middle. Barely worth mentioning, because it takes about 20 seconds to put the hole in myself. Second, I wish they'd start offering slatted racks and then I could get all of my woodenware from one place.

I was miffed when OBB shut down last year, and now I'm thrilled that they're keeping up the good work I've known from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ny12569 View Post
    wow was just going to place a 300 order will hold off
    In my opinion, that is your loss as you are holding off for unsubstantiated and invalid reasons but that is your choice to make. Makes for less backlog for the rest of us who are continuing to place orders. When was the last time you have seen a beehive woodware maker who uses anti-corrosion coated deck screws to hold their hives together in addition to glue?

I also sell boxes and can wax dip as well
    SAKhoney

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    I also sell boxes and can wax dip as well
    SAKhoney
    prices?
    Started April Fools Day 2017

see ad in the for sale section

has anyone had any response from Ohio Bee Box Company lately? I've sent a couple of email with no reply.

I spoke with Corey on the phone a week and a half ago. As far as I am aware, he is still in business and taking orders. You might try texting him. He pretty much runs the show by himself as far as I know.

I placed a small order with Corey I complete hive consisting of three 10 frame deeps as well as frames an inner cover screened bottom board as well as a robbing screen and a telescopic cover. I ordered in mid march and hammy order 1st week in April.

What I can say is his woodwork is by far superior in workmanship and quality than the other 2 hives I ordered from Pierco earlier this year. I had all three deeps assembled glued and screwed and one coat of paint on each within two hours. The hives I purchased from pierco each box took me over 45 minutes to get together after I was done filing chiseling and trying to square up. I can say in the beginning I was a bit skeptical because of some of the comments I read on here about Ohio box company, but I will now be a life long customer I don't mind the extra wait, which was probably a week, to get the quality that I did from Corey, In my humble opinion his woodwork is best I have seen to date.
    Last edited by ny12569; 04-10-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Placed a order 12 days ago. Took my money but still says order pending on the OBBC website. Will try and get in touch today. Sent a email but after reading the above comments probably going to call. Keep everyone posted
    Last edited by Sickdog5; 07-26-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Called voicemail full. No response to text. Not holding my breath on the email response

they did get in touch with me, eventually, and I did get my 2 or 3 orders.
    it took a little more than a month.
    I hope they get caught up and their "stuff" together because I like their products.

Yea well that’s ridiculous full voicemail. No response. What did this guy bite off more then he can chew by buying the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    Called voicemail full. No response to text. Not holding my breath on the email response

I had an almost identical experience with them about two weeks ago. I ended up ordering from Better Bee.

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post

I had an almost identical experience with them about two weeks ago. I ended up ordering from Better Bee.
    . Went on there Facebook page and Sent them a message through messenger. Responded almost immediately and said that my order would be shipped this Monday.

Hi, has anyone had any experience with Ohio Bee Box this year? I placed an order on the 15th and it still shows as pending. I tried to call the number on the website and it says it was disconnected 567-215-6298. I have an email into Corey. I'm not in a rush for the equipment but I would need it by March. It would be nice to hear from someone saying they are backlogged but they expect to get all orders out, not hearing and having the contact number disconnected makes me a little nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadofMeadow View Post
    Hi, has anyone had any experience with Ohio Bee Box this year? I placed an order on the 15th and it still shows as pending. I tried to call the number on the website and it says it was disconnected 567-215-6298. I have an email into Corey. I'm not in a rush for the equipment but I would need it by March. It would be nice to hear from someone saying they are backlogged but they expect to get all orders out, not hearing and having the contact number disconnected makes me a little nervous.
    Not this year, but this sounds identical to my experience last year. I was unable to get into contact with him until AFTER i had contacted my bank for a charge back. I also was in no rush for the equipment. I also ordered in January and needed it by march. He than attempted to sneak in between our contacts and try to send the boxes, acting like I had not already told him multiple times I wanted to cancel the order. So you could 1) Contact your bank for a charge back to get his ass up-to speed and he will quickly contact you, and unlike me not actually cancel the order and im willing to bet you might get them in a week or two. 2) If Corey reads this again, his buddies came to defend him last time, you cannot charge peoples card using an online system without a product, or ability to produce the product immediately. After 2 weeks of no product you have legal claims to cancel if i recall correctly.

In addition, bees are much more complicated than bee boxes. I got into contact with a local high school shop teacher and was able to use their 5hp powermatic, in addition to buying lumber from a local sawmill, I now have somewhere in the ballpark of 40 boxes built and i'm producing them at about $8.50 ea. that includes paint and prime which i buy mismatched paints locally. Ill also buy 1'x12's and rip the boards and use the extra for handles on the supers/brood boxes and shims for the bottom boards. Very efficient, very cheap, no dealing with this nonsense.

Also do some searching locally for Amish, I found one around me that as I scale up I will begin to utilize them, Amish are very true to their word.

Best of luck, bees are an absolute blast, please do not let this discourage you. I have had sooo much fun with mine.

I love the idea of supporting local businesses. Lets start a thread of where folks know of Amish/ Mennonite businesses that cater to bee keepers. I'm in upstate New York in the Finger lakes region. Does anyone have someone near me?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast