nectar flow

Thread: nectar flow

Default nectar flow

A real 101 question, I still see lots of pollen coming in but it's starting to feel and look like a
    nectar dearth, do they happen together or can you still have a pollen flow with no nectar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: nectar flow

Yes, to the second question but the two are closely related. Also, bees forage pollen off of plants they they do not harvest nectar from.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

As JWP rightly says, nectar and pollen are closely related and bees do indeed acquire pollen from non-nectar producing plants - but the reverse (that is, acquiring nectar without pollen) also occurs - from 'Extrafloral Nectaries'. There's a useful write-up about these at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectar

And then, there's also a source of non-plant-based sugar which is frequently found in honey, called 'honeydew' - also worth reading about by courtesy of Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeydew_(secretion)

LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I can't speak to NY but here we get incoming pollen year round and only about 6 - 8 weeks of good nectar flow.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I had a feeling that was the case but had to ask.

I just wasn't sure if it was time to start feeding them or not and I think it is.
    They also seem too act a bit more defensive when the flow stops and the are defensive right now
    even though I don't think there is much robbing going on.

Dutch Clover gives me a pretty good indication that the flow is winding down. We've had clover blooming here for a couple weeks but the bees have completely ignored it, better nectar sources were out there. But I've noticed that the bees have started working the clover the past couple of days. That tells me the dearth is right around the corner. Worked a few hives today and noticed the hives are still bringing in a lot of pollen, especially the splits from about 5-6 weeks ago.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    But I've noticed that the bees have started working the clover the past couple of days. That tells me the dearth is right around the corner.
    i notice pretty much the same thing mike. that happened about a month ago here.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies