Making nucs in July?

Default Making nucs in July?

I'm in North Central Kentucky and am considering making two five frame nucs using my five hives. They're all strong and none are first year hives. Has anyone else made nucs in summer? We are entering a slow period for nectar, however I do have drawn comb, am willing to feed, and we have a strong late summer/fall goldenrod flow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making nucs in July?

I make them in July but I keep adding frames of brood from strong hives regularly to beef them up to good 10 frame and feed for winter in 10 frame hives.

I will be making nucs the end of this month beginning of August. I am doing a mite treatment now. I will assess how nucs I can make and then purchase the queens. I have done walk-away splits this time of year also but have varied success. If they don't make a queen on the first attempt the season can get away from me.

Tom

I also make July splits. Make them strong to start and keep them fed with both syrup and pollen sub. Be sure to use a robber screen if you have a dearth. I don't buy queens anymore so no splitting once August rolls around.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I don't have enough Drones to get a Queen mated very well.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Thanks for the input! I'm gonna shop for some queens and then give it a try!