Making good honey
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Making good honey

I feed my bees year round. Does that affect the quality of your honey?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making good honey

If you feed when your surplus honey supers are on the colony you will have a mix of honey and sugar syrup in them. It is not a good thing to feed a colony continuously, feed only for a purpose and when that purpose is met, stop feeding.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

bees are not like milk cows, you don't feed them and then a gland excretes honey. They gather food (syrup or nectar) dehydrate and store it. So if your feeding while you have supers on your harvesting syrup
    Last edited by msl; 07-11-2018 at 09:17 AM.

If they ever develop a cow bee I am getting myself one. It would be so much simpler. J

Quote Originally Posted by DoverBob View Post
    With this approach, just make some syrup in your kitchen and use it yourself.
    Add some honey to it for a smell, what not.
    Basically, this is what you are doing.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

So I'm guessing when I harvest I will have a mix of syrup and honey. No way to tell if the capped supers are honey or syrup.

It won't affect my honey if you feed your bees, but it will yours, even though I am in Arkansas also.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    With this approach, just make some syrup in your kitchen and use it yourself.
    Add some honey to it for a smell, what not.
    Basically, this is what you are doing.
    You forgot the bee spit and what not.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Bee Split is a different thread.

Seriously though, you will have a mixture of syrup and honey which is illegal to sell unless it is properly labeled as such. It may or may not be as good as Chinese honey.

Welcome to the forum.

Alex

Thanks for your insults. I don't sell the honey. I am learning and as such it is great to have people to encourage new beekeepers. If you have a need to insult people please find another individual to attack. I have never heard that feeding affects the quality of honey. If your bees cap supers during feeding how do remove that from the hive?

Thanks for your insults. I don't sell the honey. I am learning and as such it is great to have people to encourage new beekeepers. If you have a need to insult people please find another individual to attack. I have never heard that feeding affects the quality of honey. If your bees cap supers during feeding how do remove that from the hive?
    you cant be serious.

You could always put food coloring in your syrup so you can see where and how much they are storing compared to actual honey. I'd choose something very different from honey color like blue or green. It will still taste the same to them and you if you extract it but they shouldn't mix it with their natural nectar.

Also, I don't think anyone was insulting you. One referenced spit and you took it as split and the others were simply stating sugar water is not the same as honey and shouldn't be sold as honey if you ever decide to sell it in the future.

Nice ideal but I again have never heard anyone doing that. Coal Reeper my comment was a little tongue and cheek. Just trying to be logical. I have a super from last year in a hive. I assume its honey from last year

I am sorry for coming off as insulting. I didn't mean it to be. Just a little light hearted ribbing. I forget how things come across when not said face to face. Thanks for the reminder.

I thought you were on board when you said "Bee Split is another thread", when I said "bee spit".

Alex

Bob don't worry about it I think people were just having a little fun. If it makes you feel better I made the same exact mistake my first year. For some reason I didn't think that they would cap the sugar syrup. I proudly took pictures of my very white capped frames to share with everyone I know. I stuck my hive tool in a section to sample the honey and was amazed at how clear it was and it tasted great! It wasn't until I learned from this forum that I knew I was tasting the sugar syrup I had been feeding them. So if your mistake is a stupid one then I am stupid too. J

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    You forgot the bee spit and what not.

Alex
    Darn it!
    Indeed, the bee spit.
    I guess you end up with sugar syrup with some bee spit.
    Still, don't care of this "honey".
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Darn it!
    Indeed, the bee spit.
    I guess you end up with sugar syrup with some bee spit.
    Still, don't care of this "honey".
    I don't care for it either. Fortunately I live far enough away from everyone that I don't have to worry about my neighbors beekeeping practices. I wince every time I read about someone open feeding during a flow.

DoverBob, I am Not implying you are doing this.

Alex
    Last edited by AHudd; 07-11-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: changed "suggesting" to "implying" to avoid any misunderstanding.

So I'm guessing when I harvest I will have a mix of syrup and honey. No way to tell if the capped supers are honey or syrup.
    Tint the syrup you feed with food color like green or blue. Then you will know if you have adulterated "honey".

I'm finding this thread super funny. Pun intended. DB, what you did is a common mistake among new beeks. Don't take the ribbing too seriously. But here's the deal, when you put supers on you stop all feeding. Any splits should have robber screens on them as they will still need to be fed.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Unfortunately I'm part of the Dumb and Dumber group. Extraction this year may not go very well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast