What temperature is to hot for hives

Default What temperature is to hot for hives

A few of my hives are in a new area. Temps for that area is 103+ for the next upcoming days. How will these hives fair there painted white and in full sun. At what temps is it to hot for them to manage the hive. And what will the consequences be? I imagine all will be fine but was just curious

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What temperature is to hot for hives

115 degrees after bees thermo-regulate!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Just make sure the have an available water source. They need lots of it to cool the hives. You can also cut a piece of 1/2" foam board from the big box stores to fit inside the telescoping top. Helps keep the heat from the sun out. I just put my styrofoam hive top feeders on the big hives. Does a great job keeping things cooler downstairs.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

At temps much over 100f any type of shade board you can put on top of your lid that will provide air flow between the lid and shade board makes a huge difference. Doesn’t have to look pretty to be effective.

When temperatures got hot here, I set a couple of bricks on top of the covers and lay on a piece of 2' x 8' insulation foam to span several hives and create shade over the tops. I choose the foam simply because I have it on hand (it's my winter insulation set-up), and it is lightweighht and easy to move around. A couple of bricks on top keep it in place.

For the end colonies where I get the strong, western sun in late afternoon, I lean another shorter panel diagonally up against the stack to create shade on that surface.

My hives also already have 1.5" of foam tucked into their tele covers - it stays there year-round.

I think temps of 103 F, provided there is water easily available would be OK - added shade of some kind to reduce solar gain inside the hive would be even better.

The main problem that I see would be the lack of nectar that might result from a heat wave. You may need to replace that with syrup.

Nancy

For most keepers in the upper states, it is probably not necessary to even worry about this issue.

Remember the topic of keeping the hives in full sun because it helps with SHB?
    This is exactly what people down south recommend - keeping the hives in full sun.
    No one in that topic had concerns with "too hot" for the bees.

For sure, insulation on/under the top is very effective and works well.
    Well ventilated "attic" above the nest also works.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Yes, full sun helps dramatically for SHB. The bees seem to be able to handle the heat. I get a chuckle when the "heat treatment" for varroa comes up; we should never have any down here in the summer...