Trapping 2018 - success rate? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Trapping 2018 - success rate?

Way to go! My only swarm this year was my own bees also. Nothing wrong with that.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

JWP, Thanks. I'm happy about it. I couldn't get the earlier swarm into a box, so this is a step up. They moved into the one with drops places right next to the entrance. On the box, they didn't seem to find the entrance. Hopefully this little tidbit of info will help someone else successfully snag a swarm.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Turns out, I lost at least one swarm this year (maybe even two).
    Hopefully, someone got lucky and the bees are in good hands.
    Still fingers crossed for more in my traps!
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

I think we caught somewhere around 50 swarms in 2018. Often placed 5 or more baited swarm traps out at midnight and by noon every trap had a monster swarm in it. I am convinced we could have easily caught more than 100 swarms but we ran completely out of boxes, frames, tops and bottoms. We were leaving some swarms in traps for weeks and they got messy, so we stopped trapping swarms.

We have experienced massive swarms for the last two years [this was the first time we ever tried it]. Hoping 2019 will be another good year.

Every swarm was different, and that's what made it so weird. No joking, we were catching what appeared to be Carniolians, Italians, Russians, and who knows what else. Some swarms had all black bees. Some had bright yellow bees. Some swarms had mixed color bees. Some swarms were incredibly gentle, some were quite hot. Some were small, but most were massive. Some landed in trees, some on the ground, some on fence posts, but most landed on our traps but remained outside the traps, hanging from the bottom.

I posted many, many pics here at BS.

Believe it or not, this is how our bee business began. We simply do not buy honeybees or queens...there was no need to...

Oh, one more thing...we often heard people say that swarms are not good because they make lousy bee colonies with lots of problems. Example: Captured swarms are prone to swarm! Really? Out of 50+ captured swarms we had less than two of them swarm and that was probably because we did not provide enough room for them as they grew! No diseases, no AHB. Most of these captured swarms are now out in the almond orchards doing their job!
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 02-23-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234