Trapping 2018 - success rate? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Trapping 2018 - success rate?

Quote Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
    4 traps/ 0 swarms

same as previous 2 years

One scout seen, Similar to year 1.

Switched from lemongrass oil to swarm commander. Results were no different.
    My first year it was 0/6, even worse.

The real break-through came when I got some used bee hives for traps. Used equipment rules.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Check out the Swarm Commander that looks like the air freshener - that was a game changer for me. Went from 0 swarms caught over the past 2 years to 4 swarms this year. I credit the SC solid lure, it worked way better than the spray for me, and no need to have to rebait, just set it and forget it. The other 2 success factors are make sure your trap is 40 liters (see the plans on horizontal hive dot com) and put them out the first week in April, the scouts need time to check them out well in advance of swarm season.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Scratch that.
    2/7 now.
    Scratch that.
    3/7 now.
    Pics later.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Gregv,

That is great news! How big was it?

Hopefully, you can get them well established before winter.

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Gregv,

That is great news! How big was it?

Hopefully, you can get them well established before winter.
    Don't know what is inside yet but they have been there 3-4 days at least, since the last check and seem anchored well (pollen is coming in).
    Golden rods will soon be starting and sweet clovers are still going strong here.
    Up to these puppies what they wanna do.

Congrats on the capture.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

So I am liking this model more and more:
    - no climbing
    - set the trap where you want your hive
    - a possible minus - many yards, but works for me.

Setting up a hive here tomorrow.
    Nice place.
    20180728_141223.jpg

Looked.
    The darn log thing is full of bees. Wall to wall. But I have no time handle them.
    This swarm will stay in the log hive and just fend for themselves best they can for now.
    Went ahead and setup another trap (#3) in the same fishing spot.
    Heck, they keep biting.
    20180729_192900.jpg
    20180729_203127.jpg
    20180729_203236.jpg

Greg, is this normally your time for swarm season, or is this late? here in indiana everything is later this year, but there never really seemed to be a swarm season.

congrats on your catches.

Thanks all for the congrats, btw.
    I was resigned somewhat already that this year is a miss.
    Then bam! - two quick hits in a row.

So now I climbed over the last year success rate, actually (3/7 > 3/15).
    Both swarms are really big.
    Too big, in fact, for a "typical July swarm" which is supposed to be a smaller secondary swarm.

The last one looks and feels as if a "typical commercial Italian bee".
    I looked inside at almost 8pm last night, just no time until then.
    No defense attempts whatsoever for such late hour.
    The bees are large too as if coming off large 5.4 foundation - a typical package-source bee I think.
    My previous catches were more carni-looking and less uniformed.

is this normally your time for swarm season, or is this late?
    So why now?
    I say - why not?
    This is my third year swarm-hunting and I always caught something in August.
    Hope for the same this year also.
    These July hits are a bonus and maybe about a late season somewhat.

I feel there are few reasons for swarming outside of traditionally prescribed swarming patterns (you know, that old May-June-July saying by grandpa, what not).
    In fact, I would toss those prescribed swarming patterns outside the window (at least around here) since they do not take into account the current beekeeping status.
    Here is why:

- good and consistent supporting flow (ADDED: this includes non-stop feeding)
    in my vicinity, we do not have a very distinct mid-summer dearth in a good year (last year and this year too, I feel);
    in fact, I always have something significant blooming nearby and supporting at least the brooding
    what I observe is that as clovers taper off in early August, so the Golder Rods are already picking up;
    depending on the weather, there is some overlap
    ADDED: well, we also observe how some new beeks just keep feeding the bees non-stop through the summer - makes for perfect "supporting flow" as well.

- lots of new beeks
    we have lots of new beeks trying out the package-based beekeeping (packaged bees and pre-packaged equipment kits);
    they have trouble keeping their bees under control;
    they are reluctant to buy any additional equipment outside of the kits (yes - it becomes expensive quickly if not building your own)
    they are reluctant or unable to learn the propagation techniques (splitting, etc);
    there is this idea of "I only need one hive" - just read BS
    the "save the bees" idea also keeps going strong, hehe... >>> more first-time beeks just keep coming out (most usually fail in 2-3 years; I just dissuaded one such neighbor from even getting into it - he was really ready to give it try - I had to talk some sense into him, just being a good neighbor)
    so, under this sub-standard management, bees just get honey bound, run out of room, and swarm away, I think;
    also, the new beek is reluctant to buy anything beyond his original double-deep starter kit (or, God forbid, the original single-deep started kit) - because it MUST be enough to keep bees if they sell it

- imported package inflow is high
    enough said of this
    in addition, the packages tend to be Italian bee that (like MB said someplace) are "brood-pumping fools"

So overall, the "normal" swarming pattern is messed up by 1)high imported package numbers that 2)run out of room (happens any time in season) due to 3)poor management.
    Good supporting flow will generate these swarms through the entire season - a good deal for the swarm chasers, like myself.
    Even though the season started late, the on-going flow at my place is steady that I can see. Good for swarming.
    Hard to beat free bees and whatever they produce on the cheap for me.
    If they die of the mites - oh well.
    There is really nothing to lose.
    For sure I get lots of resource out of these swarms for my attempts to get some localized "wisconsin bee" going.

So if your area is similar to mine, keep fishing I can only say.
    Last edited by GregV; 07-30-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Too big, in fact, for a "typical July swarm" which is supposed to be a smaller secondary swarm.

I feel there are few reasons for swarming outside of traditionally prescribed swarming patterns (you know, that old May-June-July saying by grandpa, what not).
    Gregv,

I've seen this as well. My best performing hive was caught in WV on July 3rd of last year. It was not small. I would estimate 5-6 lbs. They seem to be feral. I fed them some, but in retrospect, I probably didn't need to.

The takeaway for me is one can catch a swarm into August, and with some help, the bees can get through winter.

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Gregv,
    The takeaway for me is one can catch a swarm into August, and with some help, the bees can get through winter.
    Absolutely agreed.
    I will feed a late swarm, hands down and no-brainer because it will make the about best starter hive for the next season.
    Be it September, does not matter, the swarm is really set on their mission and, if fed, will set for the winter fine even with nothing on hand.

Last year I had 4 traps out and caught a mid August swarm... They didn't make it through winter.

This year I had 9 traps out with no swarms moving in... I use 10 frame deeps with 1 dark old brood frame and the rest of the frames with starter strips and use Swarm Commander. - east central WI.

Possibly you are not in range of swarms. Paint inside of box with wax and propolis. Use more black combs. Try Lemongrass oil also.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarn View Post
    Last year I had 4 traps out and caught a mid August swarm... They didn't make it through winter.

This year I had 9 traps out with no swarms moving in... I use 10 frame deeps with 1 dark old brood frame and the rest of the frames with starter strips and use Swarm Commander. - east central WI.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

OK, finally found a couple of hours do re-hive the last swarm.
    Turned into a minor cut-out job; a good demo for my helper boy.
    A nice swarm; should fill a Lang deep box wall to wall nicely.
    Should be all set and we now can leave for the vacation.
    The late flow should be good this year with the summer moist enough.
    Hoping to find more swarms when we are back.
    20180802_185415.jpg
    20180802_190131.jpg

Scratch that.
    3/7 now.
    Pics later.
    4/7.

Disclaimer: this one is likely my own, however (still good to catch).
    Be interesting to find the queen and see that botched mark-up job (fingers crossed to find her).

Funny thing is that the swarm #1 (above) for this season swarmed out while I was criss-crossing Montana, vacationing.
    They plugged the hive with honey and brood, got too crowded, and jumped the ship.
    Any case, I need more equipment again.

I caught 3 swarms this year. The last being a marked 2018 queen. I had figured this to be one of mine but i inspected all of my hives and there are marked queens in all of them.
    I had 7 traps built but only ended up for one reason or another setting up 2 in one location ( caught nothing) and 4 at the other and caught the 3 swarms there.
    The last swarm i just caught 1 week ago. I gave them a gallon of sugar water right away after shaking them from a tree into the 10F box. 1 week later all 10 frames built out and being filled with eggs/pollen and syrup/nectar.
    I added second box 2 days ago and another gallon of sugar water. I have 27 hives going currently including 14 overwintering nucs in 4/4/4 arrangement. I have some of the larger hives 4 boxes deep working on a 5th box so i may well give this latest swarm a medium super of capped honey before winter.
    The first two swarms are doing well--> one is in 3 boxes ( 2deeps and a medium full) and working on a 4th box and the second swarm is just finishing filling its second deep.

So im hoping they all have a decent crack at surviving the winter months here in upstate NY.
    I will put formic pro on the last swarm this week. All of my other hives have been treated with formic pro, apivar and OAV this year including the 2 other swarms.

3 swarms from 2 traps . 2 swarms 12 days apart in the same trap in the same tree

Caught my first swarm two days ago. Opened a nuc and they swarmed into the oak above. Quickly dropped some lemongrass oil on a box lid and the entrance to a small box in the low branch of a nearby oak. They actually went into the box in the oak. Not the same as a wild swarm, but a successful baiting back and one more queen for me.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast