Trapping 2018 - success rate? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Trapping 2018 - success rate?

One in mid May
    One last week
    Scouts investigating one trap this week
    Total of 5 traps hanging this year

All have 8 deep frames of extra waxed plastic foundation, with just Lemongrass oil as the attractant. All are in different locations.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Just no luck here.

Never seen this one before..
    An excellent log trap is firmly occupied by few straggles or scouts or whatever they are.
    About a handful of bees just sit there and would not let anyone else in.
    They have killed some other bees trying to enter.

20180709_082822.jpg

More - these idiots are now collecting propolis and take it into the trap AS IF they really mean it is their home.
    Three weeks of this idiocy now - my best trap is taken hostage by.... donno what this is.
    Probably missed out on some good swarms because of the "hostage situation".
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Saw this last year. These are the scouts that didn't get the memo and the swarm they are protecting the new home for has found other digs. They should die out in a few weeks. The other thing though, are you sure there is not a very small swarm in there? A friend just trapped one he said was no bigger than a softball. I am guessing well under a pound of bees.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Saw this last year. These are the scouts that didn't get the memo and the swarm they are protecting the new home for has found other digs. They should die out in a few weeks. The other thing though, are you sure there is not a very small swarm in there? A friend just trapped one he said was no bigger than a softball. I am guessing well under a pound of bees.
    Well, a true swarm should be bringing pollen and nectar by now.
    After 2-3 weeks of doing whatever.
    Seeing none of this.

Honestly, I was there today checking on my other hive and should have just peeked inside.
    Maybe it was stupid I did not find 5 minutes for that.
    Well, I actually was kinda afraid to spook them too.
    I donno..... just kinda am confused by this "hostage situation"; new to me.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

i hived the last swarm i caught. Buggers must have been in there a few weeks since the whole box was full of comb not just the frames.
    Still i found and marked the queen and moved all the bees to a 10F box. Seemed like a good size colony for sure.
    Very dry here in upstate NY now so i will feed them sugar syrup and pollen patties i think.

Whats your method of trapping, never tried it, but I know we see a few swarms here, likely very few relative to you.

I am still sitting on 1/7, not great.
    Scratch that.
    2/7 now.

Directly landed into an empty, long hive with few blackish frames with some honey and a baggie of LGO hanging outside sitting in an open prairie (a dead-out hive).
    There is afternoon shade from a bush though.
    20180715_113615.jpg

Another note - there were occasional scouts there only 3-4 days ago that I noticed.
    I did not have much hope on this one.
    This was just a place-holder to insert a nuc later in summer.
    There is also a "better??" log trap sitting about 30 feet away and scouted consistently.
    Well, what do you know - direct hit. The best kind.
    So much for "no swarms in July".
    Yeah, right....

Someone said (I wish I remembered so to give due credit) - "you set your trap where you want your hive to be".

Greg
    Are you positive that you don't just have robbers. The reason I ask is cause you mentioned the hive had honey in it. Anything I have with unguarded honey would be full of bees in just a few minutes right now.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

> Someone said (I wish I remembered so to give due credit) - "you set your trap where you want your hive to be".

I will accept that credit. I have recommended that several times and do it at all my sites. So nice to visit an apiary and find a dead hive all full of local survivor stock.
    I had lunch entertainment twice last week as small late swarms came into my shop yard right in front of me. One into a jumbo nuc and one entered a jumbo hive that had a poor April swarm already in it.
    Some of the bees entered the hives on either side and there was some fighting and killing. I have seen these small late usurpation swarms twice now. The swarm hive they usurped was no good anyways so it was freebies and free requesting. I should have gone out and bought a Lotto ticket the same day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Greg
    Are you positive that you don't just have robbers. The reason I ask is cause you mentioned the hive had honey in it. Anything I have with unguarded honey would be full of bees in just a few minutes right now.
    Cheers
    gww
    Positive near 100%.
    Robbers don't vent.
    Also - we are in the main July flow here to have a swarm of robbers.

Anyway, going there right now to insert some empties for them to build and just generally inspect the darn things.
    Then will be 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    > Someone said (I wish I remembered so to give due credit) - "you set your trap where you want your hive to be".

I will accept that credit...
    Will remember now, odfrank!
    I fully subscribe under your statement and am trying to follow it.

Just today put up a brand new trap too - nailed a great location in the area I was trying to get my foot into the door for a year now.
    Finally got it! Nice owners it seems who are trying to do a restoration.
    A great small farm property only 10 min drive.
    Close to the power line easement I was trying to nail for a long time.
    Fingers crossed for this new bee yard to work out.

Greg
    Anyway, going there right now to insert some empties for them to build and just generally inspect the darn things.
    Then will be 100% sure.
    Wishing you the very best, hope it is a big one.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Greg

Wishing you the very best, hope it is a big one.
    Cheers
    gww
    Thanks, gww.

So, 2/7 stands.

20180715_133040.jpg

Got a big and fat puppy (clearly a commercial carni-type variety, but fine and not complaining).
    So big a swarm, in fact, four of my jumbo frames hanging there could not handle most of the bee.
    They just filled up the rest of the hive hanging on the walls, ventilating and mostly doing nothing.
    Bumped them up to nine frames (mostly blanks) so to get their butts to work.

Let see what can they do.
    If die and live the honey behind, fine with me well.
    However, I got to think - this mid-July swarm actually means a perfectly timed brood break.
    So these puppies might actually live through the winter - will see.

I put out 9 this year. I got two in two different places and one at my house. It’s been a bad year. 8 bee trees I knew of died over winter and one house I know of never did swarm that I know of ( didn’t catch it if did) This is one big one I caught after getting back from vacation.54CA1E46-10FD-46C8-8394-8F62A247E2DA.jpg

My first year trapping...
    I started the year with 2 traps in 1 location. I quickly went to 6 traps in 3 locations. All traps caught at least 1 swarm. I've caught 14 swarms so far.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    > Someone said (I wish I remembered so to give due credit) - "you set your trap where you want your hive to be". I will accept that credit.
    Uh, excuse me! You got that tidbit of wisdom from me! I have longed preached to set your traps on your hive stands next to your active hives. You’re welcome!!!
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Uh, excuse me! You got that tidbit of wisdom from me! I have longed preached to set your traps on your hive stands next to your active hives. You’re welcome!!!
    Well, now.....
    You and odfrank need to sort this one out then - who was the original author.
    I made an honest effort.

Regarding the "traps on your hive stands next to your active hives" ..
    +1

This occurred to me totally independently on my second season of trapping.
    Really, anyone trapping should have seen the pattern because it is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    This occurred to me totally independently on my second season of trapping.
    Really, anyone trapping should have seen the pattern because it is obvious.
    Yes, Ollie and I love to take credit for the obvious!

Several months ago I landed a double in two separate swarm traps on my hive stand in my San Mateo yard. My yard is near Ollies and Tanksbees yard. Not sure where the bees came from but I have a feeling they were from Ollie’s yard. Once again, I like to state the obvious
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

4 traps/ 0 swarms

same as previous 2 years

One scout seen, Similar to year 1.

Switched from lemongrass oil to swarm commander. Results were no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Yes Charlie....even though I was keeping bees forty years before you were, the last eight years have been by far the best, being the benefactor of all your new found knowledge that I was unable to learn in the previous 40 years. Thank you so much. I don't know how I ever did it without you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast