Trapping 2018 - success rate?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Trapping 2018 - success rate?

So what is the success rate trapping for the 2018 so far?

I am still sitting on 1/7, not great.
    (just a so-so last year 3/15 (same as 1/5) - looking attractive just about now).
    But season is not over yet here. I keep mine up through the August.
    Fingers crossed still.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Trapping 2018 - success rate?

I keep mine up all year. My trapping record is as such. First year 12 traps and zero swarms. Second year 16 traps and three swarms. Third year 16 traps and two swarms. Year four, this year, 16 traps and one swarm. I leave the traps up all year but would say that this year is probably done.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I'll take most of mine down this month, except my driveway trap.

Last year was 2/8, I believe. This year 3/7. Two were in the same trap, one being my own bees. That one only gets 1/2 credit.

I tried mega-baiting later in the year. That yielded one big swarm (9 lbs). The second trap I tried it on, got much more interest than last year. About 6 weeks apart, I was seeing 10+ scouts at a time, but no swarm.

last year was 6 swarms out of 2 traps, this year is goose eggs

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    last year was 6 swarms out of 2 traps, this year is goose eggs
    Same traps, and same locations?

This year is just turning poor year.
    Especially since I have much better traps too - all of them are well used hives now.
    The traps attract propolis scavenging bees really well; these are all over - but not bringing any swarms along.

Trappers around me report about the same - poor trapping year.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

Same traps, and same locations
    Yep, 4 off one site 2 off the outher.
    this year I haven't even seen scouts

10 swarms in 4 traps. Catch one...remove it and replace the trap. Actually all 10 caught were in 3 of the traps. 1 trap didn't catch any. They were all less than 10 feet apart. Granted....some of those swarms came from my hives.
    I removed all 4 about 2 weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/oWeK4V2AOd4
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    10 swarms in 4 traps. Catch one...remove it and replace the trap. Actually all 10 caught were in 3 of the traps. 1 trap didn't catch any. They were all less than 10 feet apart. Granted....some of those swarms came from my hives.
    I removed all 4 about 2 weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/oWeK4V2AOd4
    Maybe we should re-classify this into catches per locations.
    This is more correct.

Which is what I have - seven locations.
    My backyard is one location with 3-4 empty hives at all times.
    My best location so far.

One of the things I found interesting about my 1 location with four traps is that one spot caught 5, one caught 3, one caught 2 and one didnít catch any. Identical boxes. All within 10 feet of all of the others. I baited two with swarm commander and two with lemongrass oil. One would expect that they would catch about the same number each. Also interesting to me, one spot baited with lemongrass oil caught 5 swarms and the other lemongrass oil baited trap didnít catch any. I used this same location and layout last year. Last year all four were baited with swarm commander. Even then the two south facing spots caught the lionís share of the swarms.
    My conclusion is that location may matter but the direction the entrance faces is also extremely important. I donít have any idea if it is about the compass heading or about the objects in front of the openings.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I caught three swarms from my hives last year. The trap was a help cause I saw a scout and so would walk down to the hives and look. None of the other ones I mentioned in my earlier post came from my hives. Unlike beemandan, I only have a few hives compared to his 150 and they are in my backyard and so easy to keep an eye on. The rest were in a twelve mile radius from where I live. I have only caught one in a trap at my house and it was my very first bees. Since I got bees, no catches at home. I have only caught two swarms in one spot and it was years apart. I am always amazed by those guys that catch a lot of swarms. It has to be location, location, location.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Last year's hot spot yielded nothing this year, even tho I had two traps there. Other traps tell the same story. Did catch one swarm, in my backyard, from my bees. I don't even give it 1/2 credit cause it should have been a split if I was on top of things. Really crappy year for swarms. A friend I helped caught a swarm in a bait hive this year so I count that as a plus, just not for me.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

First year trying, so far 0/2.

Down 50% from last year. Set maybe 50 and caught 35, 70 last year. Season ran from 3/31 to 7/2, and that swarm was tiny, maybe a few hundred bees and queen. I pin my lack of catches on the use of Apivar last year. Because I medicated, I had so few losses that as in the past I did not have a full set of black combs to use in my bait hives. I decided to use all unbranded frames, only two black combs and the rest plastic foundation per bait hive, so that I could sell them as nucs. This taught me that folks on here are wrong to recommend that setup. Clearly a full set of black combs catches more swarms.
    We are having a higher than usual rate of bait swarms that fail and a very high rate of swarmed hives that fail. I am at a loss to explain why. Maybe a lot of poor spring weather that might have affected mating.

0/6 So far had one get torn down by a bear and had another fall my fault.other four nothing used swarm commander to.but I have a seventh one way back on a back road that I haven't checked so maybe it will have one i hope .

I have this trap that has persistent scouts in 3rd week now.
    Fewer than before but still there and still sticking to it.
    They even ventilate the darn thing.
    I was so, so sure they were coming.

No swarm per the today.

Probably, the swarm got called off someplace.

ive caught two swarms in Skaneatelels NY this year , although i think i have a 3rd also-> checked a swarm trap at the back of my property i had actually forgotten to check for a couple weeks and there are bees bringing in pollen so looks like another swarm there.
    I will move that to my other property one evening this week and get them into a proper hive.
    I had set 8 traps total at the two properties and have caught 3 by the looks of it.

Last year had 14 swarm traps out, caught 8 swarms, 1 trap caught 2, this season same locations, have caught 1 swarm, have had scout bees checking 2 other traps but nothing moved in

First year trying; 1/2 (although it took several months)...

These were bait hives from deadouts, southeast-facing, one double deep and one single deep, both baited with Swarm Commander. The swarm that arrived yesterday chose the double deep. I haven't opened it to look yet (don't want to scare them off) but am hoping the swarm was big enough to NEED the double deep.

The single box is right next to the now-occupied double (about 4 inches - as far apart as I could put them on this stand, and the two hives' entrances are reduced in such a way that they're as far apart as possible) and both face the same direction (SE). Wondering if maybe I should turn one of them 90 degrees in order to encourage another swarm to settle in the other one, although the SE orientation is really the most viable one in this particular location to allow me access to the hives without having to stand in front of one of them... (I have no other hives at this time)...

I’ve had a good swarm trapping season as well. I lost count, maybe 15-20. NONE compare however to my swarm trap competition victory over odfrank. My humble 8 frame deep handed Ollie’s ass to him using his goofy jumbo trap. Please ask him about it.

DF3EC2C1-2B60-4993-8179-DC7156C6F5D0.jpg
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast